Christmas came early

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by gilmafam, Dec 19, 2007.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I may have to move away from the beach and go to Yuma or Blythe. I thought that it may arrive yesterday, and it in a way did. My Step-son brought my Xmas present down from the upper unit. You see it wasn't Santa that brought it, it was the UPS. It arrived from Pana Indiana, and inculuded in the box was a "New ABU". The box was to big to put under the tree, and since my "powerPro 65" was outside getting wet in the rain, I decided to have my wife help me put the new line on my "Moyer rod".

I know that it may be a little "heavy" for our local cattin action, even to big for "Mendoa Slough" of "daystarchis fame" and CaptnSteve, but I'll have to wait till after Xmas to try it out....

Some of you are right handed, and cast with the right arm, then switch hands and crank with the right hand, and hold the pole with your left hand. We have "posted threads" before on this, and I just want you to know where I'm comming from.... I am right handed, shake right, throw right, and can crank right handed by changing my pole holding hand.... This pole is atached with an ABU 7001I (left hand). Not that I need to use it like I do a "bass casting reel" of.... in and out etc..... but with the surgery to my left shoulder and the loss of strength in the left arm, I find that cranking with the left is easier and I can do the lifting and pumping with the right hand/arm

This pole is nice. And with the line that I have on it, and the weight of the pole, I may have to take it to the "salt" and try it with some action fish like yellow tail....."fat chance this time of the year... unless I go to Mexico"

So, I got a new "flathead" pole, or "big blue" pole and may have to go to San Diego or the Colorado River to try it out....:0a22:

Merry Christmas....... Bayrunner Ray

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Congratulations on the new gear. I am also right handed but like the left hand retrieve Abu's.

Merry Christmas
    David

3. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I didnt even know that Abu made a lefty. I have recently gone with the Avet reels for a left hand retrieve. I use the LX and it seems to be a great big river reel. I will have to check into the Abu lefts, congrats on the new combo. I hope you catch some monsters with it.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Ray congrad's on the early Christmas present ...Am sure you'll put it to good use .

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Ryan,
    The Abu reels that end in 1 are the left had version. The 6501 is the left hand version of a 6500 and a 7001 would be the left hand version of the 7000. I hope that made sense.:smile2:

David

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    So here it is.... San Diego angler gets record blue catfish.... Like most of you folks....I'd done a "whole bunch of CPR" .....
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071219-9999-1s19fish.html

"What a waste of Meat".... I'd gladly donate $$ to feed that poor ole catfisherman....and "his buddies"

But I guess when you catch a fish it is "yours" and you can do with it as you wish......

Bayrunner Ray

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sounds like Santa brought you what you wanted! :wink:

8. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I fish with right hand Abu's 6500c3 and will also have left hand spinning reels in the rod holders at the same time . I grab which ever goes down and I don't even think about it .It just seems natural to me .

9. Harley

Harley New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Maybe you'll get more in your stocking on the 25th

10. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    There is alot of us out here like that Bro. I love my Abu 7001 Big Game reel, and I am right handed too.:wink:

11. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Dave that made a lot of sense, I just didn't know that they made them. I have fished with large spinning reels for years now because I couldnt find a good quality conventional reel with the left hand retrieve. I have another avet lx lefty on the way and am pretty pleased with them but the abu's would be a little better for my wallet. I am right handed but have more coordination in my left arm and am left eye dominant. I dont know it just feels natural to hold the rod with my right and reel with the left. Thanks for the tip guys It will definately help me out.

12. gilmafam

State:
    California
    No such luck.... keeping the feet warm with the stocking

Merry Christmas Harley... Bayrunner Ray

13. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I am in the same shoes brother. Do almost everything right handed. Except shoot weapons and reel in the big one. Strange how that works, guess i should have been left handed.:smile2: