Chouteau Lock & Dam 17

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by lonnie84, May 16, 2008.

1. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Any of you fish here? What can you tell me about it?

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I fish it every once in a while...mainly when we lock through the dam on 18. I'll lock through and fish below L @ D 18 just to fish there. There can be good fishing this time of year when the blues head upsteam to spawn. Afton Landing off highway 51 has nice campsites and pretty much puts you in the middle of 17. I don't fish it very often if I'm on the navagation channel most of the time we fish on 18. The fishing IMO is just as good on 17 as 18 but my buddy lives 5 minutes from 33 landing on 18 so we go there most often.

3. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Chris,

I'm just starting to scout out the areas around here to fish, I fished the river on Gibson this weekend all night Friday and then again on sSaturday. We got a few but nothing like we were expecting. but the water was dropping pretty fast.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've never done very well at 17 on cats, but in the early spring I usually do well on sandies and skipjack. I've heard that they're putting a boat ramp in somewhere around 17. I've seen some bulldozing hear and there but not sure if the rumor's true or what they're doing. I haven't been down there in a few months.

5. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    There used to be a ramp years ago. There were some decent campsites on the east bank below the dam and the ramp was at the south end of those. I haven't been on that side in years but it may be worth a look to see if they are putting a ramp back in.

6. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if you havent been out to l&d 17 in a while id go check it out. theyve done alot of work on it. i was down there a couple weeks ago and they had the parking lot on the west side all redone. they also built a huge wing dam that goes parrallel to the bank line across that backwater area just south of the parking lot. it doesnt go all the way across so it kind of pools that backwater area with nice slack water when the currents running at a good clip. im not sure what all else theyll be doing but theyve done alot so far. i do think that the camping areas along the east side of the river wont ever be redone unless they get some real solid bankline in there. it just erodes too much and goes right up into the camp areas. good luck and be careful this weekend.