choteau bend - Anybody fishing this area?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishinfordman, Feb 26, 2009.

1. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    Anyone been fishing round choteau bend area yet

2. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll ask again. Can anyone provide a report for the Bend? Are the Sandies and Spoonbill there yet?

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I personally haven't been yet and other fellows that I know that fish it hard haven't been up there yet or provided a report.

4. PRELTZEL

PRELTZEL New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    WHEN THE WATER IS RUNNING THEY CAN BOTH BE CAUGHT EASIER
    THAN WHEN THIER NOT. I LEFT REPORT ON SPOONBILL AT KERR WHICH
    IS UP FROM BEND FROM THIS LAST WEEKEND.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info. I called up there and the lady said she had seen people who had caught sandies and spoonbill, but she didn't know exactly where they caught them. That is good enough for me! I will go up there Sunday, and report back on Monday. If anyone goes before then let me know how you did.

Thanks.

6. larry c

larry c New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Could someone help me out were is choteau bend. Can you fish for spoonbill from the bank. Thank for your help.

7. PRELTZEL

PRELTZEL New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    IT'S RIGHT OFF 412, YOU KNOW WHERE COAL ELECTRIC PLANT (BIG SMOKE STACKS) IS. GRAND RIVER RUNS RIGHT BESIDE IT. YOU CAN FISH BY THE BRIDGE LIMITED FISHING THOUGH OR GO UP TO WHAT THEY CALL
    THE LOW WATER DAM (BIG ROCK PILE) OR GO UP TO BELOW THE DAM
    (KERR) WHERE THEY HAVE A PAINTED LINE (1 THOUSAND YARDS DOWN STREAM FROM THE DAM) OR AFTER 10 P.M. RIGHT BESIDE THE DAM.
    HOPE THAT HELPS, GOOD LUCK!!!!!

8. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I always use a boat. I launch at choteau bend park which is right off of 412 and then motor up to the low water dam. However, there are always people around the low water dam fishing from the bank, I just don't know how they get there. I've seen them on both sides, so there is obviously multiple ways to get there. Maybe someone else would be so kind as to tell us.

9. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I've never fished there, heck I've only been snagging once and didn't catch anything.But off the the wife and I will go a fish'n.I'll post what happens after the trip.I've heard that they are catching some male spoonies, and the sandys have starting to run a bit with the water temps up.I hope we get some rain the next few days with the front to get the flow going on saturday.

10. walkeraw

walkeraw New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    To get the the rock pile/low water dam.... east on 412 and shortly after crossing the bridge/Grand River, take "scenic 412"/old highway to Locust Grove....after winding around/over the hills for a couple of miles you'll see an intersection - Sam's Corner/cemetary sign...turn north (left) and go 2 miles....turn west (left) and continue for a mile or so and you'll end up deadended at the rock pile/low water dam.

11. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    can you launch a boat from there?

12. walkeraw

walkeraw New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can launch a boat........but, the "ramp" is a little further out on the bank/gravel bar. Depending on water level, that area can be very shallow and you may need to back in to the water a lot more. I believe most people put in at Chouteau Bend recreation area and motor upstream (about 1-2miles).

13. Joe

Joe Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    I was there yesterday catfishing with one of my sons. We spent a long time trying to catch shad, finally did. We ran quite a bit looking for the shad and spoke to fishermen along the way, lots of folks were out. Didn't see anyone with a spoon. It was slow for everyone we talked with. I saw one guy catch two small crappie, that was about it. We had one small channel. Just didn't see anyone with enough fish to talk about. Water was 48 in the morning, got to about 52 in the late afternoon in backwater areas.

14. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Water was down.No one was catching sandys, or cats today.But alot of people were trying.
    The female spoons are below the low water dam, but just out of reach of the bank. There were a few rolling but most were in a area about 100yards from the dam in the current. We hooked 10 or eleven but being my first time I under estimated spoonbill. We never landed one, we were only fishing with 65lb power pro.We were able to hook'em in one or two casts once we found them, but they would just rip off alot of line; drag the boat and either get loose, or snap our line.We fought (I mean held on to)one for nearly an half hour.I could't even turn these fish,it was like tring to reel in a car thats driving away from you.We would try to save line by following the fish slowly in the boat but that just prolonged the time before the line would snap. It was the best time I've ever had fishing without catching a thing.:0a1:I had one run so hard my reel handle snaped in half. I can't wait to get back out there when they start realeasing more water, and when I get some stronger line.:0a36: So I have to ask, what line do most people use to catch spoonbill.

15. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

Mike,

The first couple of years I went to the bend fishing by boat I just used 20 pound big game mono and caught plenty up to 50 pouunds. I did go up to 25 and sometimes 30 pound P Line but I couldn't get the distance with 30 pound mono that I liked to. I now use 65 pound power pro with a 30 pound mono leader and a breakoff now is just after too many cut's and nicks from the rocks on the leader. I manly like that power pro doesn't have the stretch and get good hard hooksets with the braided line compared to mono. You will lose terminal tackel when snagging but you should be landing a fair amount after they have been snagged. How are you rigging your line, hook and sinker up.

16. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    No leader, maybe thats the problem, but I wanted as few knots as possable. Polomar knot at the top of the treble, and then a slip knot around one of the hooks down to the sinker about a foot below.When we ran low on sinkers we tried snagging without the sinker, and were still able to snag them.The problem was getting them up, we could boat to them but when we attempted to pull them up they would run off another 20-30 yards of line, this would keep happening untill they finally un-snagged, or the line snapped.What we were hooking into was like nothing I have ever hooked before,my wife and I are very sore today.

17. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I don't tie a knot onto my treble hook at all. I run the line through the eye of the hook and wrap it around the shank of the hook and then my 2 to 4 oz sinker a foot or so below the hook. I tie a palmor to the weight but no knot on the hook.

18. stubbylong

stubbylong New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here is my update.
    Friday - night went to Hudson dam, and caught 5 all between 20-35 lbs. and another 3 that were 18" or less. We were only there for 2 hours.

Saturday - Started on East side of low water dam, NOTHING. Went back up to the 1000 yard marker at the dam, NOTHING. Went to West side of low water damn and hooked a 35lb male with just a few casts. Only heard of 1 other fish caught from 412 all the way up the river to the dam that day, so I considered myself lucky and went home with him.

Sunday - low water dam in a boat. We were there for several hours and only snagged a carp and never saw anyone snag anything else let alone land one.

fishnfool68 - They either moved or we just didn't find the right spot, but we really covered the whole area. You were talking about the low water dam 3 miles up from Choteau Bend Park? Sorry I have to ask, cause I just didn't see what you reported. By the way, I am using 50lb Power Pro, on an 8' rod, with 2oz weight and 10/0 hook. I have had no problem landing them up to 40lbs. Granted, I haven't hooked into an 80lb one yet, but Im gonna keep on trying. :wink:

19. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    posted a new thread.. mods can delete this post..

20. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mike,

My brother in law and I went below hudson last year and were using 50 cajun red and also 50lb power pro, we hooked one, we were able to land it. Course, from shore we were using 15 ft rods, that might have helped some. If you get ready to head up there again, give me a call.