Choosing The Right Bait For Where You Are Fishing

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original posted by Chad Legereit(Creekrock) on September 2, 2003

Choosing The Right Bait For Where You Are Fishing

I think the most important factor to consider when choosing a bait is the food supply of the waters you are fishing. Even when fishing for channels it has been my experience that you catch bigger and more fish if you do a little research on their feeding habits. One thing I like to do is open the stomach after I dress the fish. I have found very interesting evidence doing this. Once I even discovered that someone was baiting a section of water with corn. It turned out to be a valuable piece of information on how the fish move at night since I was catching these fish in 40' channels in high current. I knew where they were heading at night due to it was the only place that the current wouldn't have outcast the corn. I hit the calm flats that next night and had the best time! This is just a weird example, but the point is to learn what they eat and why. I never use stink baits or anything that can't be found in the waters I fish. I know there are some very good recipies out there, and channels will attack such baits, but IMO you can do better with natural food supply. I try to remember things always change. One bait will work better today, but doesn't mean it will tomorrow. A good example I have encountered on the ohio river: Try hitting the mouths of tributaries with nightcrawlers after a good rain. I think the rain sends them washing out and the fish have learned this. Another example is cut bait under the wickets at any dam. I am no expert, but I have been doing better if I think as well as I cast. I hope this didnt offend anyone as I am sure it reads as obvious, but the more I think this way, the bigger fish I catch. Remember catfish skin is covered with thousands of scent nodes. Maybe stink baits draw fish from a longer range, but you will draw the fish that don't have as much feeding rights because the dominant fish will be feeding on the natural supply of that location. One more point: There is no market value on natural bait because it's free. Think about that.