Choosing a small outboard around 5 HP

Discussion in 'Boating' started by riddleofsteel, Mar 28, 2007.

1. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I am currently looking at an outboard to put my Coleman Scanoe back on the water. I have finally put enough stuff on my 1648 Jon boat that it has become a trailer boat for lakes and big rivers only. With a 25 HP Honda four stroke, batteries, electronics, seats, bait tank ect ect I will not be sliding it down any river banks EVER.
    Thank goodness I never got rid of my trusty Coleman Scanoe that has served me so well for 25+ years. I plan on retiring the old 1.2 HP Sears (AquaBug) engine I have been using on it and will be purchasing a 5 HP outboard in the next few days.
    I have been looking at vintage Evinrudes and Johnsons, Briggs and Stratton, Tohatsu's, Nissans, Mercurys (all the same basic engine), Suzuki's, Hondas, and Yamaha's.
    Most of the service for this new motor will be the small rivers of the Piedmont North Carolina region and lakes without boat ramps. Some of these rivers are somewhat rocky, stumpy and filled with sandbars so durability, serviceability, and weight are considerations.
    I have used small two stroke engines all my life and I know that the power to weight ratio is excellent on these engines. The small two cylinder Evinrudes are considered by some to be the best outboards ever built. Go to any place were people make a living using small boats and you find these engines. However, it seems very few folks sell one of these engines that is still worth having. If they do the prices very quickly approach the price of a new motor.
    This brings me to my second choice. The Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury line of two and four stroke engines have excellent reputations and are some of the most popular outboards in the world. Unfortunately these engines are all single cylinder in the 5/6 HP range and the two stroke models are largely sold out for ever except for the occasional Mercury still on a dealers shelves.
    So except for a chance find of a good used engine I guess I am looking for a new two stroke Mercury or a four stroke Tohatsu in 5 HP. (The 5 and 6 HP Tohatsu four strokes are exactly the same engine except for tune and exhaust so the extra 1 HP might be nice for the same weight.)
    What do you think? Hold out for a cherry 5 HP antique Envinrude, an excellent used modern engine or go for a new warranty carrying Mercury or Tohatsu?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    B.

Warranties are a seductive thing, until you consider that most people never need them, and antiques are, well... antiques. Hard to find, harder to find parts for, and overpriced.

It's a shame the 8hp Yamahammer is a bit much for your scanoe, although the hp is all in your left hand.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think before you give up and throw in the towel, you need to do a search on e-bay for those motors. I have seen them there and very reasonably priced. It may be that one of them is for sale in your neck of the woods. Luck.

4. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    http://www.lake-link.com/

hey I dont know what a good price would be but heres one I stumbled across - Im looking for a 2 stroke 25. Look in the trading post section - tab (on top right hand corner)

see ya

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I spoke with an acquaintance yesterday that had 3 small motors for sale. He had a 7 1/2 Game fisher for $300.00, a 6 HP Mercury for $400.00, and a 2005 long shaft, 4 stroke 9.9 Mercury, electric start (not a tiller model) for $1400.00. Any interest just shoot me a PM. All the motors are in OKC.

6. Fireman4c

Fireman4c New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well we have had a Brigs&S 5 hp single piston 4 stroke for about a year now and I love it for the durability and weight. The onlything I dislike about it is when your going down the lake it sounds like your mowing the lake LOL LoL. Me and my dad put it on a small bass pro pond hopper. You can get up in the small slews to hang your yo-yo's. I think for $599 you cant beat it!!

7. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
  8. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a lead on a 5 HP Suzuki for $450.00. It has been stored for about 15 years but the owner claims it runs well. Suzuki makes/made all the small engines for Evinrude and Johnson. I have read where Suzuki's do pretty well but I have no experience with that brand so I am a little cautious.

Opinions?

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have a Suzuki that I think Bubbakat told me is a 5 hp or so. Never had started it.
    Sounds like there still brining a good price.
    I may try to sell it need to get a tilt trailer for the lawn mower.
    Pete

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    For a small two stroke I would go with a Evinrude 4 or 6 hp they are tough little motors:smile2:

11. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Get the Suzuki great little motors. I have one I use as a Kicker for Musky Trolling and it also is used on a little boat. Has not gave me one minute of trouble and starts on the 1st or 2nd pull would not trade it for anything.

12. Fireman4c

Fireman4c New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have also had a Suzuki and it was a great little motor I didnt like how much gas it drank!!

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a Approx.1980 28 lb.2 hp.2 cycle Mariner that I have used since bought new as a get me back against tides and currents.It takes up little room and has worked fine on 8'-16' boats.I have used it as a primary fishing motor on a 8' Grumman WW2 Dinghy,a Indian River square stern 12' Otter Canoe,a 13' Waterbug (built like a Scanoe)and a 17' Grumman Whitewater Canoe which is built Strong enough and I bought to "walk over" a log as we call it without getting out of the boat.The 2 hp.motor does great at about 1/3 throttle.After that it bogs the boats down,makes waves,burns x-tra fuel and only speeds up a little.I have owned and used a 2 hp.since the early 50's.I have one of the last model sold,45 lb.4 hp.2 cycle Mercury outboards made by Tohatsu.I got about the same overall performance out of it in the same ways on the same boats at about 1/4-1/3 throttle settings.I really see no difference other than the weight.Jim Hudson has seen my boats when he repaired my boat rack.They are my "hope chest!"I hope this may be of some help.I found no noticeable speed or noticeable fuel advantage with hp.in a displacement hull once the efficient speed was reached.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

14. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Very interesting...........

I have run my Scanoe with a 1.2 HP AquaBug two stroke, a Evinrude 2.5 HP two stroke and a 5 HP Eska rental engine.

I must say that that with each increase of power I did see an small increase in overall speed. The 5 HP did not push the boat twice as fast as the 2.5 HP but that is expected on a displacement hull. As a matter of fact the increase in speed between the 2.5 Evinrude and the 5 HP Eska would not really be worth the difference in weight if I was just lake or flat water fishing. What I did notice was a marked increase in POWER in river current. The 5 HP Eska gave me enough push to move upstream with control in places the 2.5 HP was barely moving me.

I will agree no amount of engine is going to plane a Scanoe but that is not my goal. Neither is water ski or jet boat speeds. I would like a dependable outboard with enough power to run the Piedmont and foot hill rivers I love to fish in. From my experience a 2.5 HP won't do that job. If I was further east in tide water or coastal plain waters it would probably do just fine.

As always I appreciate your input peewee you seem to have a lot of experience in boating and outdoor living and I enjoy your posts. Thanks again.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I can see your difference in needs.Your life depends on having enough power for swift water and tight maneuvering.If power in reverse when traveling downstream in a fast current is needed,you might want to think about the difference in above and through prop exhaust.There is a lot of difference when you are trying to reverse through the exhaust bubbles.My 8 hp.Mariner was way better at this than my 9.9 Mercury was and we always used it to come down the rivers in high swift water trips.I often eased down through the swift,tight,bad places while steering my boat with my engine idling in reverse.Instant stop and reverse was available and I could just set there and look the situation over.I loved the 9.9 but there was a major difference in this type of control.Lakes,swamps,tide water.Saltwater and coastal plane rivers are where my outboards were used.I could get more speed by advancing a throttle,but it was not much in relation to the increase in HP.,RPM and and fuel consumption.Now I do wonder about proper lube in a 4 cycle.I ran my motors a lot "tilted up",or in the "shallow water drive" mode as Mercury calls it,due to sand bars,logs,lime stone and sandstone in our rivers at low water.One of the great things about 2 cycles is that their lube system still works great at all types of angles.I have as yet been able to find out how well the new 4 cycle outboard engines work under these conditions.I know that in the past,even some of the big commercial marine inboard engines had their problems and some major brands had some bad reputations with the commercial fishermen with accelerated engine wear due to lack of proper lube.This is a old problem with 4 cycle and angles as we were taught about it at South Georgia Trade School when I was taking the Diesel Mechanics Course in 1960-61.The smaller the boat,the more angles in rough water and the more life threatening this could be if it "locked up".Even today,the large marine engines do not have the oil pan or sump type systems that "land lubbers" are familiar with.I heard of some problems with this from some of the old 4 cycle outboards owners of years gone by.So far,no one seems to know much.I have heard rumbles about some ATVs with engine lube problem reputations. One more "time will tell subject".I have sometimes experienced what I am talking about when mowing a lawn on the side of a steep Tn.or NC.hill with a push mower.I have not noticed a problem with my 9 hp."Go Devil",but it only has slight angles compared to a outboard and has not been run in rough water.I am eagerly looking forward to you hopefully finding the "perfect"motor for your requirements.Unfortunately this is the wost time of the year for finding a motor at a reduced price.Every thing in life has it,s plus and minuses,including life itself.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

16. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I got together with the fellow that had the 5HP Suzuki. I had bid on it when he had it on E-Bay. His reserve was $450.00. I drove to Statesville Friday and took a look at it. This engine is a 1983 model but is basically brand new. From the outside paint to the inside the cowling it looks as good as a new engine I saw at a showroom the other day. It has an aluminum prop that is painted and the paint is not even scuffed. I suspected it had been refinished but when I checked closely the entire engine is original.
    The owner told me it that his father had bought the engine new and it had been used one or two weekends a year since 1985 on a little Mercury Minnow boat at Santee Cooper during vacations. He inherited the engine when his dad died from lung cancer last year. He said his dad was a nut for keeping his tools and equipment in tip top shape and the engine has always been stored with a dry carb and the fuel lines empty. It still has the original spark plugs in it and the original Suzuki remote fuel tank. He spent over an hour telling me how to care for the engine and the fuel mix and the particulars of mounting it ect, ect. I patiently listened to all of this because he seemed sincere.
    Best thing is that when I told him I would take it he told me that since I had driven all the way to Statesville and since he could not find the hose from the tank to the motor he would let me have it for $300.00.

I put it in the tank when I got home and made up a new fuel line. When I primed the bulb I pulled out the choke and it cranked with 1/3 a pull on the rope? It runs like a champ and idles down good. Shifter works good, forward, neutral, and reverse.

Looks like all I need now is some warm weather to put it on my 17' Scanoe and hit the river.

Thanks for the input and advice.

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is great news.
    Sounds like mine. Its like new. The hood does have new paint. It was camoed. The motor its self is clean as a new one also.
    Hope you have great luck with it.
    Pete