Choose your line to your river!!!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jul 30, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have been experimenting between braided and mono for years, and i have to say it has more to do with the area you fish more than anything. people can argue the advantages and disadvantages, and that is exactly it..every area has an advantage and a disadvantage. i like fishing structure no matter where i target flatheads, but there are times you can get away with one line and not the other. i think it has to do more with how much structure to the body of water your fishing. i live on the northern half of the muskingum, plenty of log, rock, etc. river is fairly shallow for the most part. i have fished many different various braids with no luck.. i thought for a while it was how i was fishing them, but after yrs. of fishing i have found you can only control a big fish to the extent of what you have to fight him.. braid is no good for a good fish in rock, and log soo abundant your dodging it with the boat! lol .however i have found deeper water south of here..better stretches with less structure that i like to fish braid. more water/for area = more space to fight a fish with the less amount of chance to have to horse him immediately out of structure. if fishing sharp rock and numerous log i would much rather have the mono. stretch isn't always bad, esp. when dealing with a heavy fish in structure. and it can absorb abbrasion alot better. it also gives you that split few seconds to adjust to a big fish after the hook set, unlike braid its over before you could yell!! you have a bigun!! sure you don't have the sensistive action you feel with braid, and low stretch on the hook set,, but i would rather not break off immediately after the intial run of the big fish, and take my chance workin him out of structure then to have no chance at all. let me add now..when i lake fish, i prefer braid.. less structure more open water, and usually more casting distance. then you can compensate for the added line out on the hook set.. so i guess what im trying to say, look at the section of river you fish.. or body of water...how much structure/water.. then try to make a decision which would be better for you. you can't take back the one that gotta way, but you can plan ahead to put the odds in your favor! goodluck..rollo:big_smile:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    also i consider what type of fishing im gonna try for the night...braid seems to be better when float fishing, while mono seems to work, guess it just depends again on the area and techniques...rollo:big_smile: