Choke stopped working

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Drawout, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    My electric choke isnt working and i dont know the first place to start troubleshooting was hoping you guys can lead me in the right direction.

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Does everthig else work right ?
    Do have and know how to use a voltage tester?
    If so there sould be a wire conected to the choke. follow it until u find the plug. Disconect the plug, connect one lead to the plug ( not coming from choke ) coming to choke, connect the other test lead to battery neg. It should move the needle or light the light, if volts are present. With key on and the choke swith on.
    If no voltage check for a bad fuse. It maybe an INLINE or mounted in fuse block if you have one.
    If youhave voltage at the plug then test the choke itself.
    For operation ,, Use a piece of insulated wire and touch one end to battery positve and the other end to the plug coming from choke. it should click and move the choke.
    If you have voltage form switch to plug and the choke doesn't operate using the jumper wire. replace choke selinoid.visually inspect thecarb and choke for damage or obstuctions.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bob and Bubba's Outboard Advice Robert Gilvary Outboard Advice – If you are having problems with your outboard motor or have questions about routine maintenance or maybe just changing a part out Start a thread in here with your make, model number, and serial number. There are a couple of guys here that really know their stuff when it comes to these engines. You can’t beat the wealth of knowledge found here at no cost to you. USE INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK

Johnny, that's whats posted at the top of this section. You've got to give us a little bit to go on.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Its about a 73 74 model 100 hp evinrude with powerpack its getting power to ignition and the button works.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnnie check and see if you have voltage at the chok selnoid itself. If you have it is the selnoid gone bad. I think I might have one of those but lets ck your first.

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Willard should both of the purple wires be hot, and does the key have to be turned on ?

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    One of them should be hot. I can't remember which but it will only be hot if you have the toggle switch turned on or the ing key on and pushed in. Either way the switch key has to be on to furnish fire to the selnoid itself

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Purple wire w/white stripe is the choke solenoid hot wire when the key is on and activating the choke.

Try sliding the plunger in and out of the solenoid to see how smooth it works

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Okay guys i figured out that i am getting power and it is sticking but does work,what should i spray on it to free it up ?

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    PB blaster works for me.

11. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx guys ,You all have been helpful and i really appreciate it.