Choke Solenoid!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by miichael, Feb 21, 2007.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My choke solenoid is acting up on me. it will pull the choke shut but its sticking in and not letting the choke open back up. the pump part feels like its reel tight and dont slide very well. I tried cleaning in out but it still will pull in and sticks in. where can i get one of the electric choke solenoids for a 1974 70hp evinrude?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Michael I'll look on one of those old motors I have and see if there is one left on it.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'd imagine the only place you'll find one of those is on an old 1974 70hp Evinrude... If Bubba turns one up for you, you're in good shape. If not, start checking the local repair shops and look around on eBay. Those solenoids are just about as rare as hen's teeth...

Fortunately, though, you don't really need it - the manual choke works just fine on those old motors.

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yep it works using the manual choke but a lot of times i will flood it out by using it because i dont get back there in time to push choke in.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Michael I checked and did not have a selnoid left on any of them. I know you can still buy them I will just have to search a little deeper to find it.

6. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    if you can find one let me know. Id really like to get one. mine seems to work in warm weather but in cold weather it wont pull the plunger in. its like it swells or something in cold weather. Hot weather it will pull the plunger in and work.

7. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey I found one on ebay for $5.99 + $12 shipping so it would be $18 total. I dont know if its like mine but it looks like mine. Do you think it will work? it come off of a 100hp evinrude. let me know if you think it will work on a 1974 70hp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-...07155QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V#ebayphotohosting

it says...

OMC has been producing variations of this motor for ever and ever, so it should fit bunches and bunches of different models and years. These parts are in very good/used condition unless otherwise noted.

8. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i looked it up have different part numbers. mine calls for a omc # 386675. probably wont work?