choke sizes

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by whiskers, Oct 25, 2005.

1. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    What is a good choke size for waterfoul hunting with a 12 gauge Remington Wingmaster model 870?

2. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    I will just be targeting ducks and geese.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'd use a full choke for waterfoul. remington 870 wingmaster huh.....thats a nice scattergun for such a young man .....be sure to take extra good care of it they don't make the wingmaster anymore. good luck with your hunting enjoy yourself but becareful all the same, a trip to the hospital will ruin a perfectly good day of hunting.

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Whiskers, here in the states we're limited to non-toxic shot for waterfowl hunting. Most of it is REALLY hard and could potentially damage a full choked barrell because it doesn't "conform" to the barrell size like lead does. If you're using screw in chokes it could actually cause the choke to freeze in the barrell requiring a gunsmith to remove/repair.

You want to shoot an improved cylinder or modified choke at most, depending on the range of the birds you will be targeting. If they're decoying and shots are close, use imp. cyl or even an open choke. If you're shooting at longer ranges (35 yards plus to me) go with a modified choke.

Hope this helps.
    /Scott

5. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Never use a full choke with steel shot !!!! All of the gun manufacturers have put that in writing. It's in the operational pamplet that comes with all new firearms since the intruduction of manditory use of steel shot for migratory birds.

If you use a tight choke with steel shot it could cause severe damage to your firearm....it could cause the barrel to split or rupture.

Steel shot is not soft like lead. Lead will compress under pressure but steel shot will not ! !

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    THEY ARE RIGHT DO NOT LISTEN TO ME I AM WRONG !!!!!!! serious bad post had My mind in three different places sorry .....

7. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Personally I use the Kicks High Flyer Modified and Improved Cylinder chokes. They are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I use Estate 3" 1 1/4 oz. #6 shot for ducks and Kent 3" 1 1/8 oz. #2's for geese. They both pattern fantastic with either choke and flat out SMOKE the birds!!!!!!!!! Can't count the number of times I've had people gawk at me for using "#6" shot for ducks!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! Once they hunt with me that's all over with, they're on the bandwagon wondering where I get my shells at. LOL!!!!!!!!! God bless.

8. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    i use a improved mod for ducks and a full for geese the full is made for steel so its safe to shoot it and it patterns well with 3 1/2" kent fast steel in #1 shot.for ducks i throw kent fast steel in #2&3 shot and on occasion i shoot federal #4shot in 3". if ya get the birds in close you dont need naything but a impoved cylinder and some 6 shot ;)

9. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I can flat out smoke ducks out to 65 yards with #6's and have done it just to see the look on a persons face. I don't like shooting them that far, but when they fly straight over the top of me, it is one shot that I NEVER miss. Don't know how I can make that shot so easily, but I've never missed one in my duck hunting career. I even smoked a goose at 50 yards while duck hunting with them!!!!!!!!!!! I turkey hunt in the spring on areas that make you use non-toxic shot and I'll use these exact loads. Roger's Lures in Liberty has them in 3 1/2"!!!!!!!!!!! They are on sale right now for $90 a case!!!!!!!!!! God bless.

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I have always used a full choke when shooting, never had a problem with it. In fact, my 20 ga is a full choke and can not be changed. Thank you for the information. I will make sure to only use my 12 ga for hunting waterfowl.

11. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    MadKater - Good Point! That full choke was made for steel so it is just that - designed to deliver the appropriate number of hits inside a 30" circle at the appropriate yardage. (Don't remember what the specific numbers are but there is actually a standard) If you were shooting lead, that same choke would be more in the "modified" range. Measurements with calipers would tell the tale for sure. This is probably a point that should have been made sooner. If you're buying chokes that were made specifically for steel, then a "full steel" choke would be acceptable. I, in fact, have some chokes that came with my Rem. SP10 that are marked "steel - modified; lead - imp. mod.", etc... (if I remember correctly)

TDawg - It is possible that you may have "re-choked" your shotgun. By shooting steel through the older fixed full choke it could, potentially, open up the choke a little bit because the steel won't compress to meet the diameter of the choke. Something's gotta give :sad: The only way you would know for sure is by finding out what the factory specs are for the choke in that barrell and then measure with a micrometer or set of calipers. If it has opened up a bit, and the barrell has not scored inside due to the steel that has passed through it, then you're probably ok to continue shooting it. This is all a big maybe though so the best thing to do is probably to put the shotgun away or use some of the newer, more pliable, much more expensive :eek: non-toxic shot that is available these days.

/Scott

12. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    Thnx for all of the awesome info guys!

13. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    Brad K,

I am 6 feet tall and 220 pounds! I think I can handle it just fine!

P.S. I got my first canadian goose in march with the 870.

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Actully I just saw that Rem. has a new wingmaster with the NRA logo on it. For ducks I have always used modified choke with #2 shot. It's bad when you see shot size BBB bounce off geese at 40 yards and closer.

15. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Dang, crazy, you're shooting bad shells/choke combo then. You need to get Kent Fasteel 3" 1 1/8 oz. #2's for geese. You'll be thoroughly impressed if you're patterns anything like mine with the Kick's High Flyer Modified. God bless.

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    gottafish,

Had the ol 12 ga pump, (don't remember what brand, too old lol) at a gunsmith about 2 years ago. Had to have some work done on the action as it wouldn't load a new shell. Anyway, while he had it I had him check it out really good. Said it was the best looking 12ga he'd seen in a while. At least, one that is 30-40 years old at least. Anyway, he did check the choke at that time and stated that it was still at factory specs. He checked it because he had to remove a bunch of wadding that had rapped around it from cheap shells.

17. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    I bought a Mossberg 835 ulti-mag with the accu choke setup this year. These chokes will shoot lead and steel shot, except the extra full turkey choke which specifies lead only. I keep the modified in it and so far it's brought home doves, pheasant,ducks and a couple canadas without a problem. I patterned winchester 1550 3" # 2's and 4's (steel) at 30 yards and was happy with the results. The only problem I'm trying to overcome is the 24" barrel after swinging a 28" for so long.
    It's been in the 60's and 70's till yesterday, ( n.e.Nebrasky),....and then the bottom really fell out. we had a blizzard yesterday with snow and 40 mph winds, and temps around the teens! I'm thinking we'll be seeing some ducks and geese this weekend.. :)

Good huntin' to ya'

18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    The patterning board never lies when it comes to choke choices!! A nice even(+dense) pattern using fast steel at your max. shooting range is the "holy grail". I curently shoot my IC with 3" #3@1550 and it stones my decoyed ducks(Federal Speed-Shok).

Getting the duck in the center of the pattern seems to be harder than choosing a choke :crying: .