Choke Canyon report

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BigOBear, Oct 6, 2008.

1. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    The bream were tougher to find this trip. Finally picked up some about 5 feet more out into the lake than the bed we'd been fishing earlier in the year. They were in about 10 feet on a steep incline catching them about 5 feet deep.

Caught a mess of channels and one drum on weenies soaked in Anise.

Picked up one 14lb blue overnight on a live bream in about 12 feet of water in a feeder creek right where it met the lake.

Met some young fellows that caught a 12 lb flathead on a shad in the middle of the day in about 20 feet of water.

2. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Jimmy! Glad to hear your doing well! I went out to Choke Sunday morning with my younger brother and son. I was out there for about hour caught 6 fish total one about 4lbs and the other about 6lbs. My young one was throwing up so we called it a day and came back home. That was a long road trip to come back to San Antonio after only being on the water for about an hour:sad2:. There always next time for us. It was pretty windy and choppy for my jon so the decision to call it a day wasn't all that hard. I need to buy a map of the lake. I have only been there a few times and I have a lot to learn about the lake.

3. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Sometimes you have to do what you have to do bud. I told the girlfriend I was going this weekend and she was welcome to go but not to expect the frills of the last trips. Wasn't going to take the camper. Was just going to head down and fish and doze in the boat or truck. She decided to try it. Long story short, (after I offered to motor to the state park and let her pee) she fell her bare butt on a bull nettle Sat morning. Tried to take her in but to her credit she hung in there and wouldn't hear of it. The stinging went away after 3 or 4 hours and I noticed she was sitting on that cheek again. I was impressed. Now to see if she goes again :)

The wind was pretty choppy both days for us too. Looking at the weather reports for this coming weekend puts it 10-15MPH again. We had a lot of wind that couldn't make its mind up. Sometimes I'd feel it on my back but see the chop coming toward me in the front.

I finally sprung for the Hook-n-line waterproof map at Academy. I like it alot... shows a lot of pre-existing structure on the bottom.

4. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ouch! Hope you didn't get into too much trouble for that?

I too was also looking at the map at Academy. My buddy has one if those handheld h2o color GPS units with the detailed maps it works awesome! but i am not sure I want to spend $400.00 plus for one of those.

5. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Hehe... I was safe. I tried to get her to let me motor 15 minutes away to let her use the state park. :smile2: I've put my elbow down in that stuff once working on a truck... whew it's rough. I'm just glad it only got the cheek :eek:oooh: or I'd probably have not been fishing the rest of the weekend.

Yea, GPS is on my toy list. Things go on my toy list and get looked at and drooled over for quite a while before I buy them hehe.

6. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Didn't put out many limb lines but had an interesting weekend. The wind had the waves as big as the ones we play in at the coast... whew! Couple of big runs on the big rods but no connections. While fishing the big rods off of one side of the boat we tore up the channel cats on the other side on ultra light gear and tiny cut bait in about 15 feet of water from 9PM to midnight Sat night. Seen some nice sized gators. Here's a pic of a broken/cut limb line Sun morning.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BigOBear/BrokeLine?authkey=-Y05szrxIuc#5256761223225974594

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Are you talking about aligators or aligator gars?I know there are gars in there but I didnt know about aligators.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some nice fishing, congrats and good luck in the future

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX

Both there. Saw an alligator about 10 yds away this trip keeping pace with us as we eased along the veg in possum cove. (S)he was a biggun.

I've seen a smaller one, 5 or 6 feet long or so north of the 99 bridge a few times.

For the gars, I've only caught spotted gars there but I was talking to a game warden at the ramp this weekend and he tells me he's seen alligator gars 6 to 7 feet long come out of there.

10. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the report Jimmy! I didn't go out this weekend. I have to check the winds conditions for next weeked. I finally got my map of Choke. I have only fished there early morning till about 2-3pm. I don't think I familiar enough with river beds and paths yet to be out there at night. I talked to my buddy and he told me to go up river when it's windy out on the lake.

11. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Yessir it's pretty thick out there. I've been out at night there on three trips now. Each time I went to places I'd been to quite a bit in the daylight hehe.

Your friend is right, there are enough twists and turns to get out of the brunt of the wind. This trip we were staying at Calliham with the wind from the SE. We could fish across the lake in the coves over there but had to cross over to get there :eek:oooh:

So far next weekend is projected to be sub 10mph winds. Hope that holds out!

12. southtxcatter

southtxcatter New Member

State:
    texas
    MAn, what a trip! Way to go! do you have any advice for a newbie at choke...I fish 99 but it seems etiher feast of famine for us...kids wanna rod and reel..
    Appreciate the help

13. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Hey Clint. I'm still learning 99 area too. Tried liver, cut perch and shad, DK garlic and catfish charlie shad flavor this weekend. The DK and the cutbait seemed to be preferred with what little we caught.

Slow slow weekend for us this time... ugh. We pulled 2 small blues from about 15-20 feet in the AM near there and 1 small one at about 8 feet (also near 99). All were taken from the bottom on cut perch or DK's garlic flavor. Fished a little at night but with no luck and no limb lines out so nothing to report there.

Oh, and one 4lb gar on cut :eek:oooh:. Boy did he ever stink!

14. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Mornin fellas,

Jimmy Jr. and I participated in the 3rd annual fall catfish tourny down at Choke Canyon sponsored by Valero and another big environmental company (name's on the hat I received... can't remember it atm) and put on by Three Rivers Lions club in support of some childrens' organizations this weekend. The organization made it possible for children with bad medical problems to go to summer camps.

There were 24 teams. 12 teams weighed fish. I pulled in a 4lb blue drifting across a feeder creek at about 26 feet of water really close to the bottom. Jimmy hung two in the same creek. His first got off due to the learning curve of using circle hooks :tounge_out:. His second wrapped a tree and got away. (He was able to catch two 1.5 lbers later after the tournament drifting a different channel) Bait that was producing for us was large minnows cut in half (I had 2 of these loaded on a 7/0 circle for the blue) and cut perch. No bites on DKs, nightcrawlers, or frozen or prepared shad for us. Many of the folks in the tourny that I talked to were catching 1-2 lbers consistently on "stink bait". I didn't ask what kind.

2nd through 6th place weights were 12-16 lbs. 1st place, the fellows had a couple in the 20s and a total weight in the 50s lbs.

Their next tourny will be in Feb. Brrrrr :roll_eyes:. I plan to be there with my oldest son. :big_smile:

15. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cool! Jimmy! I need to get down to choke more often! I finally broke down and got my GPS it's way cool now I can explore.

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    good going sounded like fun rick

17. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I would really like GPS too :big_smile:. I haven't even started learning about them yet so I can be more knowledgable when I go to buy it. Which unit did you get?

18. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got the Lawrence H2Oc. I also purchased the maps for our region. It shows where the structures are in the lake and where the river lines are on Choke. It is very detailed I am very happy with it.

19. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Excuse me while I get a towel to wipe up the drool from my keyboard. :big_smile: Congrats on the new toy bud! Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!

20. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Jimmy! It's time to find out if it can actually help me find the fish? I am on call this weekend:sad2:. If it's not to windy next weekend I'll head down to Choke. That'll gimme another week to look over my lake map and play with my new toy. :big_smile: