Choke Canyon info

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Wac M Trac M, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got the catfish bug now. Me and a co worker were talking about going to Choke Canyon. Anyone been there before. I'm curious if anyone on here knows much about it. We'll be fishing in an 18ft Seaark all weld. How is the timber? Do we need to go slow everywhere or is there a channel to run in?
    I am gong to go catch a bunch of bluegills for the trip. We figured we would cast em dead.

At this time of year should we fish the timber or fish gravel points?

Any tips would be soooo apreciated..thanks

2. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Hey there Frank,
    I've not been there fishing but I can steer you towards Cliff Hill "Hillcountryfishin' " find his posts and you'll find some useful info there. He's been doing pretty good down there lately (w/in the last cpl of months)
    here's a link to his fishing report :
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65537

hope this helps
    Rubes

3. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Frank,
    Cliff posted another report that inludes Choke!

Rubes

4. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    If you go out of Calliham Boat ramp and go straight across the lake you will find Possom Creek the water at the mouth will be 30 to 40 feet deep and the creek will average 20 feet. To be sure your in Possum Creek you will find a bridge across it to the back of the cove. For rod and reel fishing the left side of the tree line at the entrance of the creek, about 100 to 200 yards from shore line 15 feet of water. Calliham store sells stink bait that works. As your driving into Possum Creek there is a Cove on the right side of Possum Creek. You will know the cove, as there is a small bluff wall at the entrance. Opening to the cove is large on the left side to the back is a small island 20 feet long 10 feet across with sand shell bottom. duck weed around it. You will see Terns(birds) and sea gulls around it anchor out and fish around it. Caught a 20 pound blue week end before last the 13th-14th and several smaller fish.

5. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks, I'll give it a whirl next Monday. Man thats a deep lake. It'll be a new experiance for me. Thanks again.

6. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Many thanks for the info too. Me and the kiddos fish around at different lakes and everytime we come back to the bank with good sized flatheads and blues, fellas in the campgrounds suggest for us to try Choke if we want some really big ones. I've been trying to work a trip in down there and finally set up time to get down there in July. So I'll be looking forward to your report Frank and any others between now and then. Good luck.

7. wader

wader New Member

State:
    george west texas
    we fish choke alot........best is in the spring............or winter.......now in the heat of the summer I would stick to the deeper water stay on the edge of the brush close to the river channel......fish the brush next to drop offs to the river..........they are holding in that deeper cooler water.

can hit wesatche island for a lot of smaller fish holding there in the 18 to 20 inch range..........but the big fish will stay in the river.

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I have custody of my wee ones and they were headed to their mom's for two weeks so I booked a spot at calliham's. When they found out two of them convinced me to bring them down on the weekends I was down there.

Took my biggest little girl (12) down this weekend. We tore the bream up. Caught some huge ones. Picked up enough channel cats while bream fishing to feed us. We only put out 5 limb lines Friday night. Lost one bait. Put out 30 Sunday night. Picked up one cat Monday morning. My de-liar said 22lbs. They sure do seem bigger than it says :wink: hehe. Maybe I need to pick up a new scale... again :p
    choke_cat.jpg

Taking the youngest son (15) back next... :) I know he's chomping at the bit after talking to his sister :p So glad all five of my wee ones have the same passion for fishing that I do. I'm so used to taking all of them, it's kinda nice to have some one on one with them. She was so full of questions that may have been swept by on our trips when we all go.

Anyhow, enjoy the pic.

Jimmy

9. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Oh. Wanted to mention and see what yall thought. My lines have 7/0, 8/0, and 9/0 hooks (just my collection I've built over the years). Anyhow, I picked up one of the 9/0 mustads yesterday morning that was opened up. I've never had a cat that bent those hooks. Reckon one of those big gators on Choke got a hold of it? It wasn't straightened out but it was opened up a pretty noticable bit.