Choices

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jolie, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm kind of curious guys about your opinions.

as you know from my monotonous fishing reports... I've had a lot of skunks with many local places Not panning out. so far, I've tried 11 places and Only one is reliable.

I'm thinking its time for a change to my weekend routine.

theres seem two logical option

the first is to drive south; catfish DO seem sparse up here! perhaps just TOO sparse; too much cold water from the darned dam! I'd probably have done this a long time ago but gas is SO expensive.
    so I'm wondering is this alternative better.

I have a canoe. and I have checked to see if I can go upstream a bit in it. during typical summer flows- no problem!! thing is I only fish at night and I don't have lights. I don't know squat about what kind of lights I need. I'm sure its not difficult; but do you think that the extra mobility of a canoe would make a real difference? If I'm not catching cats in spot after spot... would a canoe really make a difference. Everyone is telling me, that catfish feed in shallow shoreline structure at night anyway.

leaning towards the drive.

what do you think. Probably more a question about whether the mobility of a boat makes a big difference.

2. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Obviously the drive is going to be easier, its going to be interesting to try to get back up river with some of the areas I was looking at when I was checkin out your neck of the woods. Prolly the best for you is going to be using a little bit of both worlds. Come on down and fish with us as often as you can but get that canoe out every chance you get. (I guess I really didnt help out that much after all).

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well do think we can meet up. I pmed you.
    cheers

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Catfishing from a canoe, alone in the dark, I would have no desire to pursue that one. Maybe try to plan out a trip once a month to hook up with one of your B.O.C. Brothers. I'm willing to take you on my boat when we can coordinate a date! :big_smile:/SIZE]

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA

I know you are scott .. and I appreciate that.

sometimes I just marvel on how many places I don't seem to catch catfish:tounge_out::tounge_out:...but this year has been hard.

high water is definitely a problem this year... thats another reason I've been fishing at the base of the dam.

There perhaps even another choice. I could wade. its just that well wading the river at night scares me even more than canoeing the river at night...

but I don't know. (if only gasoline weren't so Darned expensive!!!). I can't regularly travel most the way to kitanning, but weekly I might be able to fish a swath of river; from tionesta to oil city.
    searching on the web has proven to me that catfish populations are healthy that far north. heck, oil city had a big catfish tourney a little while back. and they're flathead as far up as tionesta.

I'm happy with my little honey hole; theres been at least one strong bite every trip, during lower water. perhaps I could catch 1-2 catfish every time I go.
    but I'm bothered by size. There's been nothing very big so far. the tailwaters in considerably colder and catfish have to compete with a very aggressive musky/ and trophy trout fishery.

I Don't think I want to the be the Kinzua catter; whatever my signature says. but I have to be content to the options that I have.

I'm babbling:crazy:

for now it is enough that I have a consistent catfish honey-hole; and that I need to explore other options. Thanks again for reminding me of the standing invitation to the cat-tracker. I love that boat. someday I'm gonna catch a real HAWG from it.

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well I checked out the law.

canoes have to have a white light visible 360° to avoid a collision. the light can be a portable battery powered lattern.

I've been concerned I'd have to somehow rig some kind of red/green light on it.

so It may not be easy, nor very safe. but I don't need lights.

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Jason, my uncle has a camp up your way. he fishes the lake alot and i know he has caught channels both from a boat and from shore. the next time i talk to him i will ask him about it. maybe he can help ya out with some spots closer to home. i think the one spot he has caught channels from shore was around red bridge, maybe you could check that out.

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    my mistake Jason i talked to my uncle and he said he has not fished for cats at the lake, he hasn't targeted them. he said that the old timers he has talked to have caught them out of the lake though. go to the baitshop up there where they store boats there is a small saw mill there too. i forget the name of it now. they couid probably help you out there with a spot or two.

9. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have you tried using bait? :smile2: