Choctawhatchee River

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by bigmaac73, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Hey all, Just wondering if anyone that has fished the Choctaw. River had any tips for the channels I hear about in there. Nobody would be willing to give up any honey holes would they???? I will be putting in at Hwy 20 by miller bend. Anybody got another/better place?

2. weinerdog

weinerdog Member

State:
    Florida
    I haven't tried the Choctaw river yet. I mostly stick to the Shoal and Yellow Rivers.

I did have some luck on Alaqua Creek a month ago. The best spot I found there was upstream from the boat launch on Hwy 20. About 1/2 mile up the river forks. The left fork is a dead end. Start fishing at the begining of the right fork and continue upstream and you can do pretty well.

3. Ol'rider

Ol'rider New Member

State:
    Florida
    New guy just joined.

I have fished the Choctawhatchee River some, familiar with the Miller bend area you mentioned. What kind of fishing do you want to do? Maybe able to offer suggestions. I know several guys that make some of their living on that river. The catfish I have caught there have been small because I don't know how to catch the big ones. Would like to know the tricks. Have put trot lines and bush hooks with some success. Some smaller cats can be caught in deep holes. There is a hole in an eddy area at the old boat ramp at Miller bend (no longer used, but you can see it).

Wonder if anyone has noodled catfish in this river.

The river has been very low lately and is driven by rains in Alabama and we go by rivier readings at Caryville. Ideal for me is 4 to 6 feet and rising. The water gets down to Hwy 20 from Caryville in 3 days. So 4 feet reading in Caryville will be felt rising in 2 days and crest in 3.

http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=tae&gage=carf1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Be careful, snags abound. I wait and follow a boat that knows where he is going if I haven't been there in a while. Down stream a short way on the left are old pier pilings that stick up in low water. WATCH OUT!

Several days ago I checked the boat ramp at hwy 20 and people were using the sand to launch and not use the concrete part becaue its uneven. Small boat should be ok.

4. Ol'rider

Ol'rider New Member

State:
    Florida

Here is your ramp at hwy 20 by the bridge, and a shot upstream. Where are the fish??? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss8EfBlmqgo&feature=related

5. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Hey thanks, we will be trying to get some of those channels out there. I think we are going to be bringing some mullett, crawdads, chicken liver, and some live bluegill. We are going to try to get some river roaches but dont know how that will go. If we get into some we'll let you know. I doubt it being that it is the first time that we have been out here. Most of our time will probably be spent trying to evaluate and find holes. But its worth a try.

6. Ol'rider

Ol'rider New Member

State:
    Florida
    I tried this once for big cats, got busted off. Using stout gear, float a big live bluegil under a large styrofoam float (we made our own so they break away) down (not sure what depth, just judge it) along a steep bank on the swift side of the river. Get the bait down along the slope but still in the eddy just out of the swift and keep it there behind the boat so you can control the bait position. Tie your rod off so it doesn't get snatched out of the boat. This was told to me by a guy who fished the river a lot.

For fishing out in the deep swift part use the biggest earthworms, not wigglers, you can find. Hook them in the head and let them trail out not bent over. The channels you catch won't be real big but this has worked for me. Some guys fish on the downstream side of a sandbar in the deep area that develops there. 10 to 15 min run upstream and the river narrows, water is swifter and you will find sandbars with deep turns opposite side.

There is also a beautiful spring upstream to the right, called Spring Run, you will see the clear water coming in from the right out of a wide slough. Careful, snags, but beautiful. Follow the clear water all the way up to the spring hole. Take a swim.

Another boat ramp upstream off hwy 79 on the east side of the river, is Ceder Tree Landing, good ramp even in low water. You will see it just past miller bend a ways on the straight part of the river. Two minutes upstream on the left is where we camp to squirrel hunt in the fall.

7. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    It that live bluegill was floating near a snag or any underwater cover then you may have hung into a big flathead. I have done that before with cut bait for channels though. I will definetly give it a try and see how things go. Hopefully we can hang into some good ones and have a story for ya'll. I will try to back my story up with some pics though, lol.

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have just been informed that a new Fla. record for an Ark. Blue has been recorded lately. I was a 64.8 pound blue, measured 53.5" and it beat the old record by 3 pounds. It was caught in the above titled river. Mac

9. Ol'rider

Ol'rider New Member

State:
    Florida
  10. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Nah, ain't no such thing as an ugly catfish....A face only it's mother could love. When we were in Florida last year, my brother-in-law and I fished the Choctawhatchee and Suwanee Rivers. Pulled in blues AND channels. None of them really had any size to them though.....

11. wellman450r

wellman450r New Member

State:
    Lafayette
    whats the name of the river that borders Georgia. we got a good friend that runs a campground on it.

12. wellman450r

wellman450r New Member

State:
    Lafayette