china or sweden

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tyrupp, Feb 2, 2009.

1. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    I would like to know how to tell if a abu garcia is made in china or sweden other than what they say on the pack at wally world. pictures would be great

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good Question,,,
    I think the C3-C4 6500's are Assembled in Sweden, the parts are outsourced..
    The BCX's are chinese, or taiwan,,
    But, I'm just thinkin' out loud....:eek:oooh:

I'm sure there's other members with more,,, knowledge..

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ty,
    I don't know how you tell by just looking at the reels but I have several generations of Abu reels that have these different phrases (or something like it) on the boxes:

Made and assembled in Sweden
    Assembled in Sweden from parts made in Taiwan (China?)
    Made and assembled in China (Taiwan?)

and to be honest, the quality is the same on all of them if that is what you are concerned about.

If there are reliability issues with the newer Abus I believe it is because they are designed differently in order to maximize profitability; more plastic, thinner metal etc. and not necessarily that they have moved some of their operations to the orient I.M.H.O...W

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    On most of abu's reels there is a stamping on the left side plate that is a dead giveaway. Abu sweden, Made in sweden, assembled in sweden, and simply ambassadeur. The one stamped ambassadeur is made in china and taiwan. They are low quality. Inherant problems in stamping, and quality control cause click, line guide, or castability problems. The ones stamped assembled in sweden are outsourced for parts But, ambassadeur uses stricter quality control so the end product is much better. the ones stamped made in sweden or abu sweden are the highest quality.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark thanks for sharing this info. I have several of those reels and I just went and checked the reel markings against the boxes and they check out just like you said. Appreciated. Reps.

6. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    From what I have seen the ones made in sweden will say made in sweden, the ones made in china will say engineered in sweden assembeled in china.

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Mine says assembled in sweden , it came from wally world with the plastic top on cardboard base .

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is true. But not all 7000's are made in china though. That's where the stamping comes in. If it plainly says "ambassadeur", stay away from it. A group of 9 year olds in a sweat shop assembled it from low quality parts. LOL

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yours is a mid grade reel. it's parts are made in china and taiwan, then sent to sweden for ambassadeur to assemble. Their people check the parts with their specs. and put it together. Hopefully on these reels the q.c. is close enough to catch mis-stamped side plates, mismachined worm gears etc, etc.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They might be now. Thats why I look for older ones made in sweden. All of the newer ones I've seen are stamped 'Ambassadeur'. That's nice to know you can't buy a new one thats made in sweden.

11. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    the catfish pro rocket is also made in sweden. just for the record I have a 7000 and a 9000 and it is clearly stamped on the bottom of both reels, made in china. wish i woulda known that before i bought them... learning experiance i guess.

12. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a couple 7000icS Pro Rockets, both made in china. I have had no issues over the 2 years I have used them, nor do I expect any. They are very smooth, very stout reels. No slop, rattles, or squeeks. I do plan on buying a couple more in the very near future.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It depends on what model you buy.

14. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Looked at a 6600 tonight at Wally World, it said "Made in China " plain as day on it....

15. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I got some of the older 7000C4LD's that are stamped made in sweden....and I had one of the newer gold 7000BGNLD......that didn't last long.....I like the old ones much better.......but they don't make them like they use too.

I'm thinking about trying the Pflueger Contender G15L out.

16. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The Pflueger is made in China too, probably along side the Abu's. :wink:

17. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture. Our jobs, and products, are going to China. Now the U.S.A. wants to borrow money from them (China) again.

18. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If they're made in Sweden, it will be stamped on the sideplate.

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ok I'll edit this. There is one reel I know that is for bass fishing made in the USA. Ardent Reels but there kind of pricy.