China immitating American products

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    http://www.hubbardjointers.com/company.htm

Typical. Cut the quality, keep the price the same, and put the rest in your pocket. Once word gets out about this it'll get snuffed out pretty quickly. *Most* brick masons understand the need for quality tools and don't mind coming off of the hip to have them, and Hubbard jointers are as good as it gets and worth the extra $.

Jon

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Look what they do to dvds and cds, watches etc. I guess copy writes and patents don't mean much to them. It will continue till their gov. cracks down.
    Bill

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Crack down? That ain't likely to happen!

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Who cares if their Gov. cracks down. What about our Gov. cracking down on them and say no to junk and no to an unsafe product, no to selling out to China. We got laws to reduce unsafe products. Use them. Just like other types of laws, like border laws, use them.
    I would think our laws cant be used in their Country but when shipping to America,( even comeing here to work ) our laws kick in. Sue china for negligence, all the money we own them will make a nice
    settlement to start with and while we're at it, take back the land they buy up in America. punitive damage. LOL. plus if they cant make a better product then ban that product and start making it here again.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont agree with this.
    As an American I enjoy the many freedoms I have including purchase decisions.

One of the biggest whines thrown into discussions on this forum is that the middle class is disappearing.
    That is a false statement and its because of purchasing choices open to Americans.
    We have the choice to buy a screwdriver made in China for 50 cents to change a headlight bulb and chunk the screwdriver when its done, or to buy the same tool made in Japan for 3.99, or buy the same tool American made for 6.99.
    Just about anything we buy we have a range of prices and maybe or maybe not different quality.
    The poor are toting around cell phones.
    The poor are watching big color TV's.
    The poor are driving cars.
    The poor are alot better off luxury wise then they were 15 years ago.

I like choices. Thats not saying that anything that comes into this country shouldnt adhere to our safety laws here under great penalty.

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like choices too. Thing is, just bout everywhere I go to buy a product , I have no choice.
    Its made in china, Mexico etc. and its junk. The saying you get what you pay for is not all that true anymore. Even the hi end stuff is turning to junk. Most of us need a bigger trash cans while a few needs a bigger safe.

maybe I will throw a note in Wal Mart suggestion box asking them if they mind throwing in a quality tool beside that junk tool so I can have a choice.
    Rest of my post to all the China threads will be in the Hi area. LOL.:smile2:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dano, you aren't making any sense with that post.
    Now we are not happy that you cant have all your choices in the same store?
    You really do want Wal-Mart to take over dont you?

Just about anything I want to buy I have multiple choices.
    I'm willing to pay 4-5000 for a table saw that I'm not going to make a living with. You may only be willing to spend 500 for a table saw.

When you make a decision to make a purchase and know what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it you know exactly where to go just like I do whether its online, catalogue, or brick and mortar.
    In my case, I know darn well it aint Wal-Mart. Your case, try Lowe's or Home Depot, of course I'm not telling you anything you dont already know.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LMAO Mark, I think you are more incline to think that than me. you have read probly all my post since I've been a member. You know I dont like wal mart and you know where I stand for the most part on other issues. . Twisting words is not a debate. You know what I mean .
    LMAO. Why didnt you go to hi area and read the rest of my post.

I'm not a politically correct person when it comes to typing. i dont even care if I spell or use words right.
    I aint going to carry on about it. Some people enjoy repeating this stuff over and over. I use to but not anymore. it gets less interesting everyday or maybe more like comics. but I have fun reading . LMAO
    I posted the rest in the Hi area but here is a piece of the post I made.

Americans dont wont a cheap product for a cheaper price and one that is unsafe. Americans want a quality product at a fair price. nothing wrong with that. You can get the plain jane or fancy depending on what you could afford but years ago even the cheaper stuff lasted a little while. Not anymore.
    Like buying a car. You can get the same quality car , both same brand, make etc. One comes plain for a cheaper price. no power windows etc. The other has all the bells and whistles added to it, power windows etc. and it cost more but the drive train/motor should be the same. That is what I want in a cheaper product. The choice to buy it plain or with
    all the bells and whistles not a choice in cheap junk.
    Some times I feel like nuts and sometimes I dont, thats why they make almond joy candy bar with and without nuts. i went all out today and got the nuts. LMAO

I cant smoke in public cause of health concerns. i cant even smoke in my car with a baby in it, not that I would wont to but if I do I get busted. so why should china be allowed to send my kids unsafe junk . To protect investors. never mind. this can go on and on.

I will add. I have been on my own since 14. At one time I had no home .. Only one time I lived with family for maybe 3 months or so since age of 14.
    I never rob or steal , or welfare when down in the dumps during those years of trying to make something.
    I paid my own way. Many times I did the jobs some say Americans want do while I was looking and waiting on a better job which I did fine. Think God the labor jobs wasn't all taken up by illegals at the time like now days.
    Even when I got my GED and some college. I paid for it myself.
    back in the day I didn't even know what welfare was and still dont . LOL I'm not bitter about some of the rough times back in the day.
    Then I got married and have been for almost 27 years.
    Everything I got , I got myself. No finical help from any family members. No inheritance from my parents or Brothers when they passed away. No house etc , nothing but bills from them. Which is ok, except for the bill part which I told the collectors my parents and Brothers new address. In the ground.
    i did my stuff myself. never became rich but i did ok.
    I'm still not on welfare but things aint looking good, I'm still trying to get rich. . LMAO.
    That is enough about me. Too much inf. aint good on internet and it ends up sounding like whining or bitter which I aint. I'm proud of what I have done for myself. I do wish I had done better in some choices but, stuff happens.
    Now I'm good to go on enjoying my Family that I have made. My wife, kids and grandkids. I'm happy with that. I hope products from china doesnt effect their health or pocket books.

So, if I dont make sense to you are anyone else. O well. It aint going to bother me none.

this is entertainement for me. And I do have fun reading etc on this site.
    Sure wish guest would sign up.

Mark, PYF now and then. The little things in life sometimes feel good. LMAO

Party on. I'm done posting in this thread. LOL.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I like variety and I agree its anyone choice to buy a product. what I dont like is the quality control & testing or lack there of. As a new father Im almost afraid to go get toys that my 6 month old daughter can play with or teeth on. Whats made in America anymore?? I dont want my daughter to be the first to discover a new tainted toy because of china or some other country is slacking off. China says not to make it a big deal that its not everything from there thats bad. Nothing should be bad! Its one thing if its a part that can snap off and be swallowed. Its another when your intentionally using poisonous chemicals to make a childs toy.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I agree there should be stiff penalties but lets not forget Americans have put out some shoddy products too complete with safety recalls and buy backs.
    its not just the Chinese. Its just the Chinese in the news.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I pride having a choice whether its made in USA or other, I always buy american. One thing that pisses me off is who makes a car, truck or van that is 100% AMERICAN MADE!!! Please let me know.

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    No auto company has a 100% us made product. Harley's have chinese made parts on them. Look at X Mass tree lights, the mini ones made in China. If you read the package it says wash hands after use. Why because of the lead in the plastic.
    Bill

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I need to tell you folks a true funny story.

About 20 years ago our old 25" Magnavox TV died. No one in the US was making TVs except Curtis Mathis and I did not like the quality of thier picture. That old Magnavox was made right here in Indiana.

So I decided that if I could not get a US TV, I was going to buy a good Japanese one. Well we looked at Sonys about 2 thousand and Mitsabitchee that were about 3500 for a 32" tube model. Well we got the Sony, nice oak cabniet, great picture.

When I got it home and was hooking up the antanne, on the back was a sticker that read " Sony of America Assembled in Mexico". I could not even get a good Japanese TV. LOL LOL And that was over 20 years ago. LOL

When that Sony died after about 15 years, we bought a 65" projection TV by RCA. I have no idea where it was made, and refuse to look for a sticker. lol

I agree that with tools, one needs the best. But some of the best is not American made. With grinders and nibblers, I have lots of Bosh -- German made. My cordless Millwaukee tools are all German made. My corded Millwaukee tools are still USA made. I have a Dewalt grinder that was made in Italy.

On regular wrenches, who made the first good quailty gear wrench??? Well they came out of Tawain, the first Gear Wrench came from there.

Now the only good thing that I have found, that the Chinese make, are those 10 ball bearing spinning reels they sell on Ebay. I have Shimannos that are not as smooth. And all my Shimannos are the reels that sold for 40 to 120 dollars apiece. Them silly Chinese reels can be had for 20 dollars or less including shipping and handling. No Joke Folks, those reels are smooth.

The sad thing with the Chinese is they have no respect for other peoples designs. They will steal a design in a heartbeat. Just look at thier small engines that every part will exchange with a Honda. I know their motors are not as good, and I would not own one. I love Honda motors--Ahhhh darn it, they are Japanesse. But Briggs and Stratton gave up on quality years ago.

I don't know what to say, things change, and not allways for the better.

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The only descent thing the chinese did was execute that Govt. guy after the pet food fiasco. Maybe the USA could take some pointers.:wink:

15. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have a friend that sets up displays at trade shows. He works for a company that makes fire extinguishers. He tells me that Chinese people actually come by there booth , lay a ruler down by there product and take pictures. He says they do it at all the booths. He also said they are making extinguishers just like theres down to the shape of the logo , only different name.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Im in the trade show business myself and I can verify that. Alot of the shows here in vegas have a no photo rule, but nobody enforces it.