Chilie time is here

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 223reload, Sep 1, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Alright!! The local FFA kids are roasting and sellin green chili's again ,its a yearly fundraiser and they sell only the best green chili in the world. I know this ,cause it comes from Hatch,N M which is the clili capitol of the world. If any one has ever been within 100 feet of a fresh steaming roasting cage full of long green you know just how wonderfull the aroma is MMMMMMM,makes ya mouth water.Anyway last nite I bought a bushel of mild ,for my wuss,I mean wife and a bushel of hot for myself,Then this morning went and bought another bushel of extra hot.Maybe I will have enough to last a full year,seems we run out by early spring hehehe.

2. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I love the mild ones. Where can you order some?

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am only guessing here, don't know for sure. If you have and use that much of those wonderful chilies, I am sure you might have some decent recipes. Esp. deer chili or a white chili using turkey. If they are not diff. for you to write down here I would be interested. If that is not your forte have your wonderful Missus help us out. Thanks John

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I like to stick to sissy jalapenos. 'Cause if it burns goin' in, it'll burn goin' out...:eek:oooh:

-Red

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Richard, your making me hungry . Recipe is needed.

---------------------------------------
    As far hot in , hot out. I use the fresh ones. Take all the seeds out. Dont wont one sticking to the side . :eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2:

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Richard.

My wife's been fixing Chili Rellano for many years. Her recipe is similar to your's but she uses store bought canned green chili's. I bet the roasted ones does make it better! But we don't live close to the green chili country any more.

So how do they roast them?

7. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    You're killin me .223!! I used to live in Las Cruces, NM where I ate a steady diet of chile. I would give a leg for a bushel of hot green chiles. Next year I'm, ordering seeds from the NMSU chile institute.

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Is food really supposed to be painful? Just a sissy here.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No Boots its not painfull, Thats why they grow mild .just for folks like you .:big_smile:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How n hell You find yourself way out there? I feel for ya brother:confused2::crazy:

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Off the subject of chili, unless you are going to use them in chili. Those nice turkeys you are holding in your avatars. I know down your way you have different strains. Are they Eastern, Merriams, Goulds or Rio Grande? Or do you have all kinds locally? John

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Went with a bud up the Blue river sunday & come across some good ole boys camped up the bank with the full setup. They had chow & I mean CHOW. They weren't fooling. (Insert banjo music here.) They had 2 stoves, 2 cookers, and a fire going. They came to eat. Well I thought I done died an gone back to the farm. All home grown; green beans, corn, maters, taters, deep fried critters, fritters, & someone had even brought nanner pudding.
    And off to the side on a cooker with deep red sause, ask what it were....wings. Well I come up with a leg, I'm a lucky guy right? The guy who made this was a volunteer fireman. (Insert merry ouchy music here.)
    First time I've smiled with tears running down my cheeks since my son was born. Whew!

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hay .223 I got some peppers in the garden that kinda got out of hand !!! Anything that was planted within 10 feet of them somehow cross pollinated!!! My sweet banna peppers now are like jalepeno's. Ill dry ya some and send you some if you like, course they might self implode in the mail. These suckers are hot!!!!!:eek:oooh:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm game will ,Aint ever ate many that I thought were TOO HOT,I may be redfaced and sweatin while I'm eatin it but thats just a byproduct of a good pepper.

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i hear yea red if it aint hot it aint nutting

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Boy Howdy! Had a friend give me a bag of assorted peppers the other day. Some Japs., some chilis. Tonite, I made some burritos, and decided to put some little red (I assume japs.?) on there. I cut into one, and smelled it. It smelled sweet like a bell pepper, so I popped a piece in my mouth. It tasted sweet for about 1/10th of a second, then my mouth caught fire! I've eaten habaneros whole, so they top my scale at 10. On a scale of 1 to 10, these come in at about a 6, but with a very pleasant flavor. I'm eating the burritos right now, and they are very tasty. Mixed in, they deliver a runny nose, and on the verge of a sweat on the brow. Not sure what they are, but I like!!! They are shaped like a small jalepino, and are red. Any clue what they might be?

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not sure ,Mat . They may be eitherPiquines or maybe Serranos,my serranos never grow as big as the ones in the store and they look like small jalapenos.