Chili rellano casserole

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by 223reload, Sep 3, 2007.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    2lbs,roasted green chilis,stemmed ,seeded and peeled
    1lb ground beef or pork
    1/4C milk
    4 eggs, beaten
    grated colby/jack cheese ,about 1/4 to 1/2 lb

brown meat ,set aside to drain. place prepared green chilis in a layer in casserole dish.place a layer of ground meat on top.,layer with grated cheese.
    Layer remaining chili,meat and cheese till all used.
    beat eggs with milk ,pour over casserole
    place in oven at 350 for 10-20 min. or till heated through and eggs are cooked and cheese is melted.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you Richard.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll be posting more ,John. this one is a favorite ,quick and simple. If any one is interested you can order Hatch Chile from

The Hatch Chile Express
    P.O.Box 350
    Hatch New Mexico07937
    1-800-292-4454
    1-505-276-3226

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Richard, that sounds good.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Richard, I know you're conscientious about eating healthier dishes yourself, so here's a recipe similar to yours with less calories, fat, and cholesterol. Tastes GREAT too! Served it to quite a few folks, and it always gets rave reviews. It's a side dish, no meat as an ingredient, but good with some spicy grilled chicken and a salad. Never tried using fresh roasted chilies in it, but I suppose it could work.

3 (4-oz.) cans whole green chili peppers, drained (I use mild ones, but whatever suits your fancy)
    1 cup evaporated skim milk (NOT diluted)
    4 egg whites
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups (8 oz.) finely shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
    2 cups (8-oz.) finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 1 1/2 qt. casserole with no-stick spray and set aside.

Wearing disposable gloves or plastic bags over your hands, slit the chili peppers in half lengthwise. Remove and discard the seeds from the peppers. Rinse and drain the peppers on paper towels.

In a medium bowl, beat together the milk, egg whites and flour until smooth; set aside.

In another bowl, combine the Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheeses. Set 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture aside for the topping.

To assemble the casserole, layer half each of the chili peppers, the cheese mixture and egg mixture. Repeat the layers with the remaining chili peppers, cheese mixture and egg mixture.

Pour the tomato sauce over the top, then bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup cheese mixture and bake about 20 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Makes six servings.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank You Richard!!! Man That Sounds GOOD.Now all i have to do is get me some of them there hatch peppers ordered before Old Postbeetle Hogs Um ALL Up and theres none Left.LOL Your Other Iowa Friend. J.D.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The Hatch Chile Express also has a website... I didn't post the link due to advertising but you can get it at Google if interested.