CHILI BOWL

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Wabash River Bear, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Ya'all! If you want to get a taste of the kind of racing My son and I used to throw money at, The Chili Bowl, midget nationals is on Speed at 8:00 pm tonight.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Thanks man, tried to reply to your PM but wasnt working, it just would time out.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the email Barry....rollo

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Barry, that reminds me of a time about 25 or so years ago. my brother and i used to run dirt cars, and the chili bowl was just starting to get some recognition. we knew that a couple of our favorite nascar drivers were gonna run one year. johnny (my bro) said, on a satruday afternoon, "we should go to tulsa and watch them". i said, OK...so we got in the truck and went to tulsa (a 2 hour drive).

we were there 2 hours before the show and thought we would just waltz in, pick a seat, and watch the show.......we couldn't even park in the parking lot. it was maxed out. we walked a block or 2 to get there, and walked in to the entry...the fumes and noise from practice was intoxicating and overwhelming. the guy at the ticket turnstile told us they had been sold out for hours....a real bummer.

i have no idea what it takes to get a ticket to that show. i sure would like to go just once, but prolly never make it. if it was that hard to get in 25 years ago, it HAS to worse now. heckofa fun venue tho...

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well if you need something to throw money at you can throw some my way:wink:

6. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Seeing a few kids (young men now) that my son raced with when we raced quarter midgets in region 5, Zach Daum, Joey Mohaun, and the kid that went the furthest, Justin Allgier (2008 Arca/Remax Champ). It takes money to go this far, these kid's dads had deep pockets and owned busuiness'.
    I see chassis builder Bob East's (Beast Chassis, Brownsburg In.) kid is racing now. Bob builds a mean chassis.
    We started racing when my son was 5 in quarter midgets, untill he was old enough to move up to 250cc modified midgets at age 12. Then to 600cc mini sprints at 14. We won a track championship in our class every year we raced, and regional championships every year through quarter midgets. Placed a high of 4th in the Dirt Grand Nationals in quarter midgets our last season in the NQMA. If I could have afforded it, we would still be doin it. We were very successful for a mom & pop operation with small time sponsors. You have got to have $ and connections to get anywhere in this business.

7. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
  8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    He was tearin the track up!! Poor Kasey Kahne:smile2: rollo

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I guess it aint over for me just yet, we got the new grandson, might be firin up the tig, and bendin some moly tube in about 4-1/2 years. Oh boy! :smile2: