Chile Verde

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by ozzy, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Heres my recipe for chile verde. This has to be my all time favorite dish, whenever I go to a mexican restaurant this is my order. I start out with 5-6 pounds of pork shoulder. Coat it well in garlic powder and cook in oven until internal temp about 150-160 degrees. Let cool and debone and remove as much as fat as possible. While the pork is cooking, in a 12 qt. stock pot, I put 1- 7 oz. can of Herdez Salsa Verde, 1 -28 oz. can of green chile enchilada sauce, 5-6 cloves of garlic minced, 2 large white onions chopped, 5 pounds of peeled bite size potatoes, 1 tablespoon of dried oregano, kosher salt and pepper. Then in a blender I add 5-6 anaheim chilis, 2 jalapeno peppers and 4-28 oz. cans of tomatillos. Drain the tomatillos and check for the outer skin, remove if found. Not all will have them. blend until smooth and add to stock pot. Do not boil, just bring to a low simmer so the onions and potatoes get soft. When that is ready add the pork and simmer until the pork is fork tender. Get yourself a bowl full with some fresh cilantro and some corn tortillas and enjoy. After a cold day of hunting or fishing nothing hits the spot like this. I always make a big pot full, it freezes pretty well. Some make it without potatoes, personally I like potatoes in mine. OLAY!

Attached Files:

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Now that's what am talking about lol I love it too ,Like you said some fresh cilantro and fresh corn tortillas and your good to go.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Soujnds good, I'll have to give it a try. Might need a little habenero sauce, though.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I make this dish kinda spicy, some days I like it hotter and just reach for the bottle. :wink:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great recipe,Mike. Anything with green chilie is a winner with me. Ya can't beat fresh tho,an I happen to live in the chilie capitol. :wink::cool2:

6. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Mike, have you ever tried boiling the tomatillos fresh? i do it with garlic and jalapenos then grind it all up. i cant find the whole cans of tomatillos like you have pictured. looks like a good time saver there!!!!

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

If I have to use fresh ones i just drop them in boiling water for about 30-45 seconds and the skin just peels off. Then in the blender, then the pot. Thanks.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i still aint found tripe mike. but i can get fresh tomalittos though.
    :wink:

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive seen it at wally world vacuum packed before, maybe a mexican restaurant can give ya a lead or sell ya some. If not theres always the canned stuff, aint to bad just got to doctor it up like mike81.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds really good, I'll have to try it. Like you said, bet it hits the spot after a cold day in the woods or on the water. Thanks Oz

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ill find it in bloomington. its about 10 times the size of the town i looked in.