Children Training for MMA:

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by kat in the hat, Mar 27, 2008.

Too violent and dangerous for young kids?

1. I'm OK with it.

2. I think it's wrong.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, it's been on the national news all day. I don't think it's all that newsworthy, but what do I know? Several months ago, I was surprised to learn that children in my area were training for MMA. School age kids. Some as young as 6 years old. In some school districts, the training counts as an extracurricular activity. From the news report, this seems to be unique to Missouri, but don't hold me to that.

I'm not sure I would enroll my child in this training, but I don't see it any different than any other contact sport. Kids get hurt all the time playing football, basketball, wrestling, soccer, hockey. You name it.

So what's your take? Is it just too much for a child that age? I think they are properly protected, matched up, and are taught discipline like in any martial arts training.

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I don`t see what`s wrong with learning several different martial art forms to learn to defend yourself and stay in shape,it`s up to the parents to make that decision. If my sons want to try something like that I`m all for it but I won`t ever try and make them play a sport they have no interest in or pressure them into anything. Alot of parents do that, and that is wrong in my opinion.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm more than ok with it, I would encourage getting youth involved with something that may give them some self respect and a possibility at a better future. Lets face it, as much as we would like, most kids arent Einstiens. Most wont go to college. Some will be lucky to make it through high school. Young talent has to be groomed, made to become second nature, to be successful. Younger kids dont have the distractions that teens do so they tend to be more dedicated and attentative. Riding a bike can be dangerous. Youth sports have safety rules and safety gear. Take our son for instance. We started him racing in quarter midgets at 5. Racing is about as dangerous as it gets, whether it be at 40 mph or 110 mph. We bought the best safety gear on the market. He raced quarters till he was 12. When he started he was what you would expect a 5 yr old to be in a racecar, jerky, all over the place, and inconsistant. By the age of 6 he had one a track championship, a regional championship, set a track record, and placed 6th in the nation at the Grand Nationals. By the age of 10 he was as smooth as glass on the track, cold, calculating, thinking ahead, and telling me what the car needed. By the end of his quarter midget carreer he had won a track, and regional championships every year. Competed in the Grand Nationals every year placing no lower than the 6th place finish of his first Grands. After quarters we moved up to Modified Midgets. His first season in this car won him an awsome 27 out of 30 wins in his class for a walkaway track championship. We got out of racing when he was 16. It just got to be too expensive and too time consuming with all the travel, let alone parts, fuel, new gear as he grew, and new cars every couple years. Through all that time, I've seen him in some pretty hairy wrecks, flipping down the track, spit out into walls, and the only thing I can remember are some belt bruises on his shoulders. We are in a small racing market here, if we lived in California or North Carolina somebody would have picked him up and the bill with it. He was that good. I have no doubt that this experience will someday payoff for him when he can pay his own way, and go somewhere where he can showcase his talents in front of someone with deep pockets.
    It dont matter if its racing, boxing, baseball, or tidilly winks,if you give them the tools, and the training, they will succeed. The experience will last a lifetime.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I love Martial Arts, its a good fighting sports i use to participate in some of them my self

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I think that as long as it is taught by somone with good intent, then its a great idea. It will give kids a good energy outlet while keeping them in shape as well.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I think its good for kids but not all kids. Some just dont have the right mind set to handle the responsiblity. I wanted to learn martial arts when I was a boy but mom wouldnt let me. When I turned 18, I started for 2 years in tkd & then 3 years in Hung Gar Kung Fu. I prefer to see the grasshopper divisions better then the black belt cause these kids dont fear whats coming. They get knocked on the bottoms & bounce back swinging. No crying till the winners announced. I will be training my daughter when she's old enough (she's 10 mnths old, to early for horse stance yet). She likes it when her teddy bear starts kung fu fighting but he's got a weak crescent kick since they have short legs.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If the child chooses the sport, no problem. If the parent is nudjing the child towards the sport, bad choice. Remember when Tiger Woods started getting famous and making money, KEY WORD MAKING MONEY. No one ever made me go fishing. In fact my brother hates fishing and I asked my dad to take me fishing, at least to 1 spot to far to ride my bike. I actually stocked about 4-5 drainage ditches in my area growing up.

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have a 10yr old grand daughter doing tkd. I would have never though she would get into it . she is a girlie girl. Don't she look tuff? :big_smile:

Attached Files:

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    kids aint a whole lot different from parents in my opinion. some kids are not cut out for it, some adults are not cut out for it, some kids dont have a moral compass, some adults dont have a moral compass, some kids cant handle the responsibility of knowing how to hurt someone, some adults cant handle the responsibility of hurting someone...

but a whole bunch of kids and "grown ups" can. i think it all depends on the individual at hand. am i for it?

does a cat have climbing gear? you know he does!

10. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Its good for them to learn a form of martial arts early, i started when i was 7 and as time went i had confidence and wasnt afraid to try most things or confront other kids. I feel its made me a stronger person not only physically but mentally as well. I see no harm in children learning any for of martial art as long as they understand that they cannot use it to intentionally hurt or frighten others. Its only for thier own protection when its neccessary, excersize and wellbeing.

11. Kajun77

Kajun77 New Member

State:
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    There have always been kids classes for boxing, martial arts, and wrestling. MMA is nothing more then a combination of these so I dont see a problem with it.

12. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Have to agree with ozzy on it. As long as the youngster is in it and not pushed by a parent or, even worse, coach.

13. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have to respectfully disagree with you guys & say no, I don't think its OK at that age. I guess I have a moral problem with the whole deal. Zeboman mentioned that just like other martial arts -- its good to learn for self-defense. Yes, other martial arts program, that kids are typically involved in are taught as self-defense. I realize that as kids get more involved many compete in competitions like any other sport. Anyone who is training for MMA is training to win (That's great!...we should all want to be winners). However, in MMA, winning means having the primary goal of physically hurting your opponent either by choking him out, beating the living daylights out of him, or by breaking his bones &/or joints. I think that goes well beyond self-defense. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not some fluffy "Oh dear, I don't want little Timmy to get hurt!" kinda' guy. I've wrestled for 30 years and have coached middle school, high school, and college. I expect my guys to go out on the mat and be aggressive & physical. I expect them to wrestle hard, but their goal is to pin the opponent, not actually severely hurt him. (Let me say though, that I know there are wrestlers who go out on the mat with the primary purpose of hurting someone.)

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Matt. I've been waiting to hear from an opponent of this. I don't agree or disagree. Just a curiosity. I still find it strange that Mo. is the only state that I know of training cage fighters in this way. I saw the headlines on national news and thought "huh? that's strange." Mo. isn't what I consider 'progressive' when it comes to things like this. We are usually a couple of decades behind times lmao. I guess unless someone puts a stop to it, or other areas follow suit, Mo. will be cranking out some good fighters in the future.

It should be noted, and I'm sure it's the same elsewhere, that there are alot of rural schools that aren't big enough to support sports programs here. I suppose there needs to be some sort of opportunity for youngsters to excel in a sport regardless of where they live. Other sports don't offer such opportunities without a school offering a program.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    My opinion is if the kids interested in it its better than sitting on the couch playing video games. Kids might like it or just want to try it. There is a certain amount of discipline involved so with a good teacher who gives proper safety and philosophy training it should be a positive thing. I think it should improve self confidence and moral courage also. It may be something they have a natural ability for it or not, but they'll never know until they try it. I'd look at it as a positive thing, at least they aint' just sitting around. If they have other interests let them pursue that.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im for it, but of course there will be bullies to get into it just to be a bad boy. For the most part kids are gonna fight any way, might as well have a ref there to keep things from getting too bad.

17. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i would do it if our school allowed it or we had somewhere to do it at. i really dont think my parents would care my dad would just say "well dont get your butt kicked to bad". other than that i would love it. im trying to get some kick boxing lessons in. i do a little backyard boxing/wresling with friends and family members. just gonna remember this, as long as your willing to hit someone hard, be prepared to get hit hard. you can hit hard and be a good fighter but if you cant take a hit worth beans ya aint gonna do very good. some people can do it and some people cant.

18. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    My 8 year old nephew is takeing ju-jitsu and he likes itreal well. I think its good for him its made him a little tuffer. I dont expect him to be in the UFC someday but if thats what he wants than Ill be in the front row yelling for him to kill the other guy!!!:eek:oooh::crazy::big_smile:

19. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As a "wrestling mom" I have to say that I am for it. AS LONG AS IT IS TAUGHT PROPERLY and done safely.

I believe that if there is a ref that understands that these are children, and stops the fight BEFORE someone is seriously hurt, it should be considered the same thing as the other martial arts with some wrestling thrown in.

Would I let my kid do it, YEP!!! (but I have a hard time keeping him in wrestling when he gets beat every week:wink:)
    If my child asks to do it, I'll let him. However, (like I do with wrestling) if you start, and I have to pay, you finish the season. If he don't want to do it next year, OK.

My big thing for this sport and kids though......make them wear head gear! I hate cauliflower ears!:smile2:

20. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree cauliflower ear looks nasty. [​IMG]