Childhood trot lining

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Muleskinner, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    Back while I was in junior college. This was around 1989, I drove the junior college bus. I couldn't afford the gas money running back and forth everyday because it was 40 miles to the school. I was blessed that I was given the opportunity to drive for them. Instead of me paying to drive to school. I was paid to drive there. Well anyhow let me get on to my story. Here I was 18 or 19 years old. I had a little 12' aluminum boat. No motor just a couple paddles. I kept it hid out down in the woods by Gaines creek. Where I lived at was extremely rural. So me and my brother always came up with all sorts of things to do for entertainment. We didn't have a lot of money coming up. We had enough to survive on but nothing extra. Besides it is 40 miles to the nearest real town. We had little small towns where that you could go get a few groceries and stuff but nothing for entertainment. Besides I do not think their was anything in this world that could entertain me more than going fishing are playing around in the woods. We never got bored. I can't understand that with my two daughters today they have all kinds of stuff to do and live in the rural area. But they are always saying they are bored. I tell them to go outside and play I guess that is maybe the difference between boys and girls.. I still live in a very rural area the only way I want to live. I don't care about living in the cities at all. Everyone has their likes and dislikes myself I do enjoy people and all. But I like my peace and quiet also. I am sorry I keep drifting off the story I wanted to tell you. Here I am going all through my life. Okay back to the story. I always would get up every morning well before daylight and go check my trot line I had set out on the creek. Usually would have me a few fish on it. I would get them off and rebait it with crawfish. Crawfish is the only bait I would ever use. Every evening when I got home from college. The 1st thing I would do is grab my dip net and hit the branch behind our house. When I had enough to go bait the trotline with I would go home and do my homework and all. Then ride my bicycle down to the creek hop in my Joe boat and bait it back up. To be ready for the next morning. Well one morning my little brother wanted to go with me. So I got him up when I got up and took him with me. We both got on our bicycles and was there before daylight. We got in the boat and started paddling up the creek to the trotline. By that time it was starting to break daylight, I looked up the creek at the tree that I had it tied off to on one side of the creek. That tree about 3 or 4 inches in diameter at the butt. It was swinging back and forth very hard. Man I told my brother to look. Wow both of our eyes were about to pop out. Good grief that must be a monster of a cat on there. We like to have broke them paddles in half trying to get there. I mean that little boat was scooting up that creek. When I finally reached the line it seemed like it took forever. I reached down and grabbed the line pulled it up and I seen that jokers big head. You talking about a happy young boy now. So I didn't have no dip net are nothing like that. heck I didn't even know what one was. So I was man handling him up in the boat he was big blue cat. He must to have weighed 30 or 40 pounds. I almost had him all the way up in the boat. He flopped one good time and out of my hands he went and the hook popped right out of his mouth and he swam back down the creek. You talking about disappointed, now me and Jason's feelings were hurt. We just knew for sure that we were going to be able to show that big fish off. Oh well just thought I would share that with you. I have several more childhood stories I will share with you at a later date. I don't want to bore you to much at one time. Hope you enjoyed.

2. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    That sounds like me and my brother. I think about our spot light all the time, it was a car head light that i rigged some wires to and we would take the battery out of our old truck and hope we didnt run it down!:smile2: