Childhood memories!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Dreadnaught, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I thought you might enjoy this one!!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

2. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    well i cant believe i found someting we finally agree on jw.it is nice to see we agree on something,,just kidding buddie... :D :D

3. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I agree with all of that,fits me to a tee!thanks for sharing it with us,JW!
    Ernie

4. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    ahhhhhhhhhhhh the way it was the good old days.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    forgot about them days kinda hard to remember them with the way they are now days thanks for the reminder.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    so true, so very true..seems like the good ole days are long gone!

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    And if ya weren't home when the street lites came on ya got a butt whoopin and no supper. LOL!

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah i miss all that stuff too, too bad kids arent allowed to be kids anymore. dont miss them mulberry switches though!

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Sounds about right, except I didn't know what a street light was.

Another memory: Christmas morning peeking down the ventilation grill (no forced air) at the fresh fruit and popcornballs under the tree we would get for Christmas (very few store bought items) and being more excited than todays kids with their expensive toys.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    The good ole days....when you could walk 20 feet to the car without grabbing a cell phone,bottle of water,remote for the car,face for the radio,laptop,PDA,and mP3 player,to get gas for .99/gal.

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Very true indeed JW!! :D :D

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Aint that America. Old school. Love it.
    JW, that is a good post. The memories of the good days. That is the way I grew up. The way it was in my day. Dont forget chores, mowing yards , Sunday School, and watermelon fights, being able to walk across others land as long as we didn't harm anything, list goes on. LOL. The homemade go
    carts was great. We built one, no brakes but there was plenty of ways to stop it.. LMAO.
    We was always building something. Had some good forts in the woods. And leaving the house all day to play with friends, fish ponds etc. Great times. Back then we didn't have all the abduction's going on but if someone tried, we was their worst nightmare. We played army, cowboy and Indians and cops and robbers all the time, we could take them out. Like the "Home Alone Kid. " LOL
    We had fruit trees everywhere in South Texas. People didn't mind us kids picking it for food. Get hungry, we picked fruit off the trees to eat on all day. no cell phone to call in a pizza or drive through happy meals. I have never forgotten those days. I think that is the main reason I grip so much. The direction we are going these days, well you know how it is. Its part of the reason why we cant get people to do the jobs now days. We need to get back to old school.
    Technology is great. It just being pushed on us and used in the wrong ways.
    I got rid of my cell phone a couple years back after 5 years of having one. I dont miss it at all.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Street lights... LOL, where were the streets. The only lights out our way were coal oil, (kerosene). I was 13 when we got electricity. Christmas tree... my Christmas was placed on a chair by my bed. Like Mike mention, I look forward to the sack of fruit and nuts, popcorn balls, home made candy, very little store bought stuff, unless we made an extra good crop. When I got off the school bus it was time to help with the farm work until dark. Them "good ole days" were not all that good but I enjoyed it, never complained, cause...... didn't know anything better.

Lot of truth in JW's post. Funny how things have changed, like medical, I remember many times stepping on boards with nails and sticking in my feet.. never did anything for it other than a soak in a pan of coal oil. Spoon full with sugar was good for a bad cold......

Merry Christmas to everyone.

14. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    street lights? oh, musta been those uptown kids that had those. hahahaha
    we had one on our garage that was my cue to come home, "dark thirty" if i was up the road. heaven forbid i was late, yikes, i still remember those butt whippins.

i didnt have one of those little helmets to wear when i rode my bike either. only the "special" kids wore those.

i got my share of store bought goodies for gifts but seem to remember the best toy i ever got was when i was about three or four yrs old. we got a new fridge for the kitchen and i got the huge box it came in. wooooo boy!!!!
    that box was funner than wet dirt. sure beats a video game.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes street lights, there are those of us that grew up and are still living in the inner city. fortunately i was raised by my grandparents who instilled in me a love for the outdoors and showed me there is more out there than drugs and crime. we still enjoyed most of the above mentioned past-times but we did have to be in before the street lights came on though. and since i was raised by my "old school" grandparents there would be a leather shaving strap wating on me if i was late...

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Oh yes childhood memories, picking up the rocks in the garden, cutting and stacking firewood only to be told to restack it cause dad didn't like the way I did it the first time. Cleaning out the dog pens. Fishing withe dad, helping skin and cut up deers. The good ole days, they were interesting.