Child support checks

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by squirtspop, Apr 4, 2007.

1. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I received 3 checks in the mail yesterday from the state disbursement unit totally almost 175 dollars.

There was a phone number listed for questions concerning the check/checks. I called and talked to a representative. I told him I had received these checks yesterday and thought that there was some mistake. He wanted my social security number and my address. I gave them to him and he said that that information was correct and the checks were mine.

I thought about it for awhile then called back again. This time I talked to a different representative who was a woman. She wanted the same info to which I gave her. She agreed the checks were mine. I said I didn't have any children young enough to draw child support. She looked back into the files and told me the checks were initially issued in 1999 but had been returned. Then was issued again in 2003 and returned again then were re-issued the third time again last month.

I told her that even in 1999 my youngest would have been 23 or 24. She said the checks belonged to me and that was that.

Now....what kind of way is this to run a government office? The checks never came from any state revenue or cost the tax payers any money so it wasn't costing anyone anything. But it sure doesn't seem right to me. If I sent it back it'll just come back again.

Guess a new rod and reel isn't out of the question...LOL

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I did forget to say that those checks were child support checks.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    All I can say is, enjoy that new rod & reel.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Chuck I hope it is ligit and not another scam to get someones social security #. just a thought.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I would be a little leary.

The checks could be frauds and they just wanted your SSN and name for illegal uses.

I would call back, give them a fake SSN and see if they say everything is still OK. Just trying to help ya brother.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds a little Fishy. I hope you are in for a new rod and reel and not out everything you got. Keep us posted. There is a slot of scams going on now.:lol: :big_smile:

7. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Strange things happen...buy some more fishing stuff...never have enough stuff.