Chiggers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Jun 24, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    What does everyone use to stop the itch of chigger (spelling may not be correct) bites . Went to a county lake the other night and those were the only bites I got , must be a hundred of them .
    Thankyou
    Brian

2. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    We use to put clear finfernail polish on them when I was a kid. Don't remember if it worked.

3. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    It is nice to have your girlfriend/wife to remove them.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I put a cap full of liquid lysol in the bath tube when i get home and soak in it for a while. Helps out a lot

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I Do everything I can to not get them in the first place! I have had them real bad in the past, Never could find a way to relieve the itch except for maybe a couple Benadryl.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

anti-itch cream and patients. you may try rubbing alcohol first and then covering the area in anti-itch cream. it will help but not cure. also wash everything in hot water and strong detergent (bedding and clothing) vaccum your couch and the inside of your car/truck.

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    That's all I ever use. It suffocates the chiggers that bury themselves in your skin. But, they'll dissolve away after they're dead. As mortifyin' as that sounds, when I'm itchin' I don't really care:big_smile:.

-Red

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    fingernail polish will kill them, it clogs the hole where they entered, and they die...works every time.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Bites

Chigger larvae do not burrow into the skin, nor suck blood. They pierce the skin and inject into the host a salivary secretion containing powerful, digestive enzymes that break down skin cells that are ingested (tissues become liquefied and sucked up). Also, this digestive fluid causes surrounding tissues to harden, forming a straw-like feeding tube of hardened flesh (stylostome) from which further, partially-digested skin cells may be sucked out. After a larva is fully fed in four days, it drops from the host, leaving a red welt with a white, hard central area on the skin that itches severely and may later develop into dermatitis. Any welts, swelling, itching, or fever will usually develop three to six hours after exposure and may continue a week or longer. If nothing is done to relieve itching, symptoms may continue a week or more. Scratching a bite may break the skin, resulting in secondary infections. However, chiggers are not known to transmit any disease in this country.
    Control Measures

Skin Care

After returning from a chigger-infested area, launder the field clothes in soapy, hot water (125°F.) for about half an hour. Infested clothes should not be worn again until they are properly laundered and/or exposed to hot sunshine. Unlaundered clothes or those laundered in cool water will contain the biting chiggers to again reinfest your skin. As soon as possible, take a good hot bath or shower and soap repeatedly. The chiggers may be dislodged, but you will still have the stylostomes, causing the severe itch. Scratching deep to remove stylostomes can cause secondary infections. For temporary relief of itching, apply ointments of benzocaine, hydrocortisone, calamine lotion, New Skin, After Bite, or others recommended by your pharmacist or medical doctor. Some use Vaseline, cold cream, baby oil, or fingernail polish. (The sooner the treatment, the better the results.)

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nail polish does work, I think it kills the chigger that is burrowed in your skin or something and it eventually scabs over.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good info brother, thanks for sharing. Informative post, Rep points for that one.

12. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Chiggerid does like clear fingernail polish. But I'd worry more about keeping them off me in the first place. Any time in weeds I'll make sure I spray my shoes, socks, and britches legs before hand.

13. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Spend a day at the lake and STAY in the water. Seems to help some. When youre not in the water find air conditioning and stay cool.

14. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    nail polish works well makes then itch like hell for an hour two though

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    everytime i get in them well i only get them on one leg....lol. naw i been eat up with them several times and when this happens well you get the best cure there is "DONT GO BACK". the ones on the back of your knee or ankle is the ones that bother me. i always use fingernail polish on mine. they stop ictching when you make them bleed a little then put the fingernail polish on. then they start burning like haydees.

16. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I used to find a source of sulfur, tablespoon of powdered, drink sulfur water, anything that gets sulfur into your system and they won't bite.:big_smile:
    of course it has a tendency to make your persperation kinda intense:crazy:

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it burns because you are giving yourself a mild chemical burn on top of raw exsposed flesh.

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    The worst chigger bites are the ones you get on your groin.theres nothing worse then a itch you cant scratch in public lol.

19. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First, I spray all over with Repel,or Deep Woods Off,and then I come home and take as hot a shower with lots of soap. If I still have them, I use rubbing alchol. It burns pretty bad but it works:big_smile_2:

20. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I use the clear fingernail polish best thing I have found