Chiggers, man I itch

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kennylee, Sep 23, 2008.

1. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I was out this weekend for some early season bow hunting, and to plant some late season food plots. Got the plots done and seen a few deer on the stand, but no shots, productive weekend.

The deer count zero, the chigger count around a 100.

I want to know how do you deal with itchy chiggers bites?

I've try every thing over the years and the best thing I have come up with is just done scratch them, if you scratch they itch more and seam to last longer.

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    wife says put fingernail polish on them

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Clear nail polish works. But if you have them scatched all to h3!! use rubbing alcohol. Burns alittle but it beats iching. Then benadril stop ich type cream.

Sorry I can't spell, been up since 3am!!:0a5:

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've always tried to take a bath in soapy water with a little bleach added to the water (~1/2 to 1 cup) as soon as possible when I get in from any activities where I might pick up those little demons. Almost never do I have a problem with them when I follow this procedure.

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    my grandmother always told us to use baking soda mixed with a little water , make a paste then apply it to the bites suppose to take the itch out i never did try it

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Being an old soldier we were always living in the field, I would spray my uniforms with permethrine, allow to dry. Its good for about 10 machine washings.

It works well, once in from afield take a bath, pour in a cup of bleach. Shower after a good scrubbing and clear nail polish!

:eek:oooh:

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    They like 100% cotton-socks!!!!! Get some polyester socks and put dryer sheets around the tops.......chigger-X ointment works the best once it's too late!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2:

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    try putting finger nail polish on them

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can only suggest fingernail polish for the ones you already have. But to keep from getting plumb eat up in the future, take an old sock (no holes) and put a couple of handfuls of pure sulfer inside it. Before you go into the woods, pull up your pants legs and lightly hit your lower legs and ankles; drop the pants legs and do the same to the lower legs. If you're going to be sitting on the ground, you'll need to get some help to apply the sulfer everywhere below the beltline.

10. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
  11. fish getter

fish getter New Member

State:
    illinois
    Almanac says use meat tenderizer and water, mix to make a paste spread on BURNS but works

12. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    The best thing is not to get them to begin with. They make some good
    earth scent repelant that seems to work and and the scent is not to bad.
    Be sure to spray around your boot tops and pants legs. We have to use spray repelant because of mosquitoes early in bow season if you didn't
    you would be swatting and moving around so much deer would see the movement. So we spray down and take our chances with the smell. Pay
    attention to the wind and try to set up down wind from the way you expect the deer to come. Some times you get busted but hay thats
    why they call it hunting and not killing.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Clear nail polish seems to work for most people. When I was 18 yrs old, I camped out on the ground and got so eat up with chiggers that there wasn't a square inch of my body that wasn't bitten. I got sick, and thought I was going to die. I haven't been bitten by a chigger since and that was over 25 yrs ago. To this day they dont bite me! Now, TICKS thats a different story!:cool2:

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The best thing I have found that works and works right now is to take a glass and mix half water and half bleach. Take a wash rag and dip it in the bleach/water solution then wipe it on your ankles and feet and any other area that itches. This will kill them on the spot guaranteed.

15. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Man That sucks. I have a huge problem with poison ivy I hate the Sh!#t. I know chiggers can be just as bad.