Chicken Skin for bait???

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by Pirate Jerry, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    As I was skinning 20 pounds of chicken leg quarters yesterday (BBQ for the Superbowl party) I was wondering if that fatty greasy skin would be any good for Catfish bait. I filled 3 sandwich zip-lock bags and put'em in the freezer for the next trip out.
    Has anyone out there ever tried it???

2. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    ive never thought about it. i dont see why you couldnt catch a mess of lil channel cats on it though let us know how it turns out:cool2:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Yep and ya don't wanna know. LOL! I would imagine takein the time to spice em up some with garlic would help. I had my revelation with thighs. LOL! Gonna do it again but this time I'll stink em up a bit.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The skins ought to work ok. That's where most of the chickens body oils and cholesterol is located.

Seasoning them with some garlic isn't a bad idea either. I think I would season them in garlic overnite and then cook them just a little in a microwave just to bring the oils out. Then go fishin.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    With the chicken skin you will most likely attrach some small cats along with others. Take the small cats and filet out both sides, then half the sides and leave the skin on and use it for bait. It's fresh bait and it's bloody. It works for several of us in the Piedmont section of NC. Mac

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have used chicken skins a few times and they are good if you are after eating size cats. they last forever on a hook too, but there isnt enough blood in them to attract the big boys. but they do work and if you have a good place with alot of descent cats then you should definately give them a try. i have found that they do work best when the water is a little bit warmer. when the water is cold they dont seem to do as well.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Never tried them , but they should work. I use a lot of livers for smaller cats.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Isn't that killing off future stock of possible big fish Mac ? Now don't get me wrong. I am not condemming you for this practice because it can also be useful. If the waters where you fish have an over abundance of fish and not enough feed then I would say it is a useful tool to thin out the population to encourage growth to the rest of the fish in those waters, but, I would personally need to know that information before cutting up other catfish for bait. We have a lake down here in the south that is like that and the G and F has lifted all limitations on catfish. You can catch as many as you want. There are so many catfish in this lake that you will hardly ever catch one over 5 lbs. In a situation like that I would say that that practice is fine your just helping to increase healthier stock. On the other hand if the waters where you fish are not over abundant with big cats or too many fish for the amount of natural feed then I wouldn't practice that technique.

Again, don't get me wrong. I am not condemming you or anyone else for that practice. I don't know your situation or the situation of the waters where you fish. I was just concerned that someone else would come in here and read these post and might start practicing that technique without checking on the population and conditions of the waters where they fish and could start damaging the stock of those waters.

9. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    after you skin them legs take the skin put in the fryer get it reel crispy then call me yum yum :wink::wink:

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Interesting. Never thought of using the skin.
    Maybe the best of both worlds would be wrap your chicken livers in skin. Tough outside and bloody inside.
    Good luck
    just

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I try Chicken Skin Once, it did not work for me. Livers works better for me at times.

12. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use skins to help hold livers on. The skin is tough and easy to hook up, stays on during long casts, and if you add some garlic its great with out the livers.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never tried it, but I'm sure it might work. At least it should stay on the hook pretty good.

14. shadsides

shadsides New Member

State:
    kansas
    should work, free bait is always worth a shot