Chicken Raising

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Mar 19, 2009.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    raise Chickens? If so can you educate me as to what all is involved? I would love to have fresh eggs and Chickens in the freezer. We would like to build the coop,instead of buying one,just really courious.:smile2:

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Pat up untill last year iv had poultry all my life i like roadisland reds best thay lay a big brown egg and are good meat birds also a white leggern is a good meat bird but lay a smaller white egg the white leggern is not as biga chicken as a roadisland red

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i want to have some chickens also any more info... great post

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've raised chickens most of my life. I'd be glad to help yall if I can. Just shoot me a PM with any questions ,I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sister Pat, I've eaten chicken and eggs all my life,
    brown eggs are the only way to go. :smile2:

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Jack, you sound AMAZINGLY like my DAD when saying that! He loved those brown eggs, said there was nuthin' better. :wink: Have you been lyin' 'bout your AGE all this time? :smile2:

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Richard, post your best tips you got. Betty is looking for a couple chickens to. :smile2:

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Pat,they are pretty simple to care for,give em food ,water,shelter. keep them in a enclosed coop to protect them from the varmints.
    If you get day old chicks from a hatchery,You will need to have some type of brooder system .

I use one of those heatlamps with the big metal globe around it,hung from the cieling. You need to teach them to eat and drink the momemt you get them,as they may be a bit disorented from the stresses of being mailed through the US postal system:smile2::wink: There is usually a paper shipped with them to help you get them going. I find a tablespoon per pint of water will help give them an energy boot the first few days. Then regular water after that. I have had good luck buying my day old chicks from www.MurreyMcMurreyHatchery.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I should have said a Tablespoon of sugar to a pint of water:smile2: just caught that

11. whiskers67

whiskers67 New Member

State:
    california
    i know how to put a chicken to sleep.....flip him on his back in the dirt and hold his head upsidedown against the ground and repededly (about 5 times) draw a line from the tip of his nose about 12"long straight away from his face then slowly let go of him,he will lay there for sometimes 3-4 minutes in somekind of trance. goodnite ZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Its a good idea to worm,and delouse your bird regularly too,we use pills ,and just force feed them to each bird as needed. Lice and mites can cause problems too,so a couple times a year they need a light dusting on the back,under the wings and in the vent area . This will work forseveral months,

Another thing is life expectancy in layers. I never kept many hens longer than 2-3 years as the egg production starts decreasing after the first year to 18 months,Time for the pot,there are exceptions though.

If you want to raise Broiler birds,they require a different type of feed to produce meat early. These are real cheap birds to buy as chicks,but there are minimums so you might want to go in with a neighbor to split the number to a more manageable one.

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    for all your responses. This is what I have found out so far. I called my local store that sells the chicks and feed but no coops.They said I must order by May 4TH or I can't get any till Spring next year.A mixed of 25 sell for $39.75.I have to add to that the cost of the feed and whatever else I would need. I have a big basement so I thought that would be the place to keep them them until my husband puts a coop together. What I would really like to get into is Rhode Island Reds,the local place didn't really comment on them. Once again THANK YOU!!!:smile2:

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Pat, we have raised chickens for years,,, the Cornish Cross ones are the meat ones,, boy they are great,,, breast meat 2 inches thick on 8 pound birds in 10 to 12 weeks,,,,

But when leg quarters are anywhere from 49 to 79 cents a pound,,,and you just can't raise legs,,, lol,,, it don't pay to raise them,,, I don't think you can raise them with out having at least 1.50 a pound in them,,, that's feed and all.

I seen some at Ranch King in Niles the other day,,, they had thousands,, all varieties,,,, 99 cents===straight run and 1.99 for pullets, apiece... Heck I see whole chickens in the store on sale for a dollar or less a pound on sale.

Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age,,, we still have some running around, along with 3 geese, some Guinna's and I have no idea how many old ducks. lol They are yard ornaments,,,, and Bo likes to chase the Guinna's up in the trees,,,, lol In fact they are so used to him,, if they see him they get in the tree's,,, they know the drill. lol

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You know we have beef that we raise and have more in it than it's worth... The only thing I can think of that you could raise for meat, and have it pay would be hogs... and that would be to start them when the garden gets going good,,, then feed cost would be minimum,,,,, of course you have to have a big garden...

I would not mind hogs,,, but my wife would,,,,When my dad retired from being a union carpenter,, he started an orchard then he got a couple pigs,,,,,, well before it was over he had 600 hogs on his place,,,, he really liked them,,,,[ the hogs killed his orchard]] lol ,,, well he was real excited when he hit 70 as he could make as much as he wanted without it affecting his social security,,,, he raised hogs till he was about 75,,started raising them at 62,,, God Bless Him......and he did this all on a 5 acre patch of ground,,,he had very unhappy neighbors,,, lol lol, if the wind was right, I could smell them here, and I'm 2 1/2 miles away. lol :smile2:

Well needless to say,,, my wife does not want me getting hogs,,, she figures I might get to likeing them,,,, like my dad did,,,,, and we have 17 acres,,,, I could have lot's,,,,,:smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Back before I tore down my old farmhouse and built a new house I had chickens. Feed them cracked corn and you'll have some of the darkest orange yolks you can imagine and hoo-boy are they GOOD!!!!

Gonna find a snake here and there in the laying boxes so be prepared for that.

Also, I had RATS, BIG RATS around because of the free corn in the troughs, didn't care for that. LOL!!!!!

Alas....no more chickens.....no more of them farm fresh eggs but the rats are gone.

One other thing........you only need one rooster if you want to hatch your own chickens. Any more than that and they'll tear each other up (plus they'll wear out the poor hens, they won't hardly have a feather left on their backs. I learned the hard way.:tounge_out:

17. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll just make sure that I'm wearing gloves,as long as there not rattlers,thats all I ask!!:crazy:

18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Pat I have started using two portable pens, I made them from two used
    aluminum pick-up truck shells. I used 4x4s in the four corners and a 2x4
    frame the same size as a pickup bed. I made the frame 3 ft. high and
    covered it with 1x2 12 gauge welded wire. The pens are 8' long and about
    5 1/2 foot tall. (3' wire at the bottom and then the height of the camper
    shell). The beauty of these pens is you let the chickens eat the grass and
    bugs and when they eat it down slide the pen up to fresh grass. You are
    fertilizing your ground and feeding your chickens at the same time. I do
    not mean to say just feed your chickens grass, I hang a feeder of mash
    or feed in the pens but chickens love green stuff. In the winter I take a
    cheap plastic tarp and cut into 3' lengths and staple it over the wire on
    three sides leaving the south end open. If you have the room and have
    big laying hens (not games) when they get used to their home you can
    let them out in the evening and they can roam but at bed time they go
    get in their pen. Six or eight laying hens are plenty for a family.
    Google the chicken tractor check out different pens and get you some
    ideas. Good Luck I think you will like fooling with chickens.

19. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you so much for your post!! I'm very anxious to get started!:smile2::cool2:

20. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    if I am wrong,but I get the impression that I really don't need a Rooster unless I'm going to have the hens hatch their own Chicks. Am I correct? I just presumed if you wanted the hens to lay I would also need a Rooster.:confused2: