chicken livers

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by butch fulk, Jul 1, 2008.

1. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    does chicken liver work for cats .

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    chicken liver is a good bait for channel cats, I caught alot of channels on chicken liver, but found I caught bigger ones on cut bait..You can blues on liver also..Flatheads, I never caught a flathead on liver

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Chicken Livers are good bait for cats, they works real well.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    chicken livers are a real good bait for small blues and channels. You can catch alot of good eating size cats with chicken livers.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    What every one has said is dead on. Also check out the member library on how to use and make cured garlic chicken livers. They seem to last forever.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Go to the grocery store and buy 4 to 6 tubs of fresh chicken liver(depending on how many cats you are planning on feeding.) Buy at least two bottles of garlic powder and 2 boxes of salt. On a hot sunny day start early and place the chicken livers on aluminum foil in direct sun light. Coat the livers heavily with the garlic pwder and salt and leave them to bake in the sun for about 4 hours. The tops will start to dry and the edges will start to turn a different shade of brown. Now flip them over and coat the other side heavily with garlic powder and salt and as stated you can't put to much salt. Let them bake in the sun another 4 hours and they will be ready. Place them in gallon freezer bags until you are ready to use them.

When you are ready to go fishing take as many of them out of the bag as you think your cat will eat and throw them out. Now grab your shad net and go catch some fresh shad and go fishing:wink:. Sorry guy's i couldn't resist:smile2:, they really do work pretty good for channel cats :cool2:.

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Dang Johnny!!! Only you man only you. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Chicken liver is very good for Channels, but also attracts turtles quite often. They are messy, hard to keep on the hook and I prefer not to used them.

This is just my opinion, there are some people who will fish with nothing else. To answer your question, yes they are good bait.

9. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    If you leave them out the cats will eat them. Here kitty kitty kitty. :eek:oooh:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Both fresh and cured liver can produce very well at times. Just remember, sometimes they'll want fresh, and sometimes they'll want cured, --- and sometimes it doesn't matter, they'll eat both, or neither.
    Johnny gave you good info on curing the livers, but the curing time is just a very rough rule of thumb. One factor in how long you leave them in the sun is: how hard do you want the livers to get? I used to get mine to the point where they were about as pliable as well-done steak, but a friend of mine cures his till you can actually make a rapping noise on the side of the boat with them. Both produce equally well, because within 2 or 3 minutes of when they hit the water, they've soaked up enough to be juicy again. Brightness of the sun, clouds, and temperature also play a part in how long you have to cure the livers. One spring, before it got really hot, I had to leave them all day on one side, then do the other side the next day.
    Keep them in a ziploc bag in the fridge. If you get a little garlic odor from them (in the fridge), double bag them, then put them into a glass or plastic jar with a tight fitting lid. No need to freeze them; they'll last a year or two if you keep them cool most of the time.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Forgot to mention this little trick. When you take fresh livers on a fishing trip, you almost always come back with some not used. Rather than throw them away, cure them, and add them to your supply of cured livers.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got my first flathead of any size 18# on fresh chicken liver. I guess i didn't know any better way back then! lol I have my favorite baits, but never discount the rare possibility of an uneducated fish biting on the wrong thing! lol I say try it all:smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just bought a tub today for my camping trip tomorrow. i stirr in a spoonful of garlic salt or powder. adds extra smelly good for them channels.

14. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Chicken livers usually work for channels and bullheads and carp and turtles. I hate turtles:angry:

15. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Turkey Liver is a heap of alot tougher and stays on hook better.