Chicken Livers

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by smitty1963, Jun 21, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Maybe someone can help me out, I cant remember where I heard this but someone told me that you can increase the livers holding power on the hook by salting them down with garlic salt and curing them in the sun for 2 to 3 hours.
    1. Is this effective ?
    2. How long will they keep ?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well you take the livers and spread them on some newspaper, put them someplace like a garage. Then take the garlic powder/salt and sprinkle a heavy layer, then a layer of livers, salt again ect. till the livers are gone.
    After a few days they will be kinda solid like a jerky liver. They stay on the hook really well. I made several pounds of bait that way, sorry to say I never caught a fish with them in the James, stick with cut bait if your fishing the James.
    good luck.....same with chitlins.....nasty smelling bait but never caught a fish . Made 10 lbs of that.

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you buy some cheap meat like old steak or whatever they have in the discount area at the store. Cut it up to bite sized chunks, soak that in the garlic brine mix. That gets the smell in real deep and it stays on the hook for very long casts. Also if you get no hits after awhile you can reel in the bait put it back in the mix to soak up some more smell and cast again later. That has worked for me everywhere I've been. The smell stays on for a long time too.
    good luck

4. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    How do you make garlic brine mix????

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Ken,

Welcome to the BOC, brother! :0a25:

As for the chicken livers, you might want to check out the post in the library. Here is just the first one I found: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57945.

Believe me, there have been many, many arguments and fun-loving banter over how to get these chicken livers just right! :tounge_out:

6. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    try using a treble hook to keep them on

7. Catfish Hunters

Catfish Hunters New Member

State:
    Soutwest Virginia
    I use chicken liver All the time, and never have a problem with it coming off. There are 2 tings I do. 1) Keep them in a cooler on Ice...I like them to be about half frozen. 2) I use a number 4 hook with barbs on the back...this really keeps the liver on. When casting, don't cast too hard.

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    What part of Southwest Virginia?....by the way a food dehydrator works really well on curing the livers. It makes them like a nice liver slim jim that you can cast a mile, once it hits the water gets soft just like you bought them.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Try turkey liver and keep it frozen partway it works just as good and it stays on the hook a whole lot better. It's much cheaper if you buy it in bulk and it is much bigger pieces so you won't get as many weenie fish.:big_smile::crazy:

10. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I tie my livers on the hook with rubber bands it works good for me

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have fished with chicken livers for channelcats for over 25 years, and I always prefer fresh, unfrozen livers. I use a whole liver on a 2/0 mustad hook. I hook it on as many times as I can and cast it smoothly , not a whipping action. The liver stays on good for me. You need to sit right on top of your pole and wait for the first tap and then when the catfish tightens up the line rip him a new one and reel him in!!!!!!!Good Luck to Ya:big_smile:

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I find that some light mesh works great for holding fresh liver on the hook. This mesh can either be onion bags or light curtain material (my daughter had a dollar-store crown that had a veil she didn't want--works great!).

I never suggest using panty hose. A lot of folks here swear by them, but I swear at them the way they snarl the hook! :wink:

The veil material allows water to flow through, don't foul the hook, and hold the bait absolutely tight regardless of how hard you cast!

13. Brokenlines

Brokenlines New Member

State:
    Arizona
    What I do is take the plastic "net" bags that tomatoes/onions come in and cut out square sections. I place the liver in the the center and fold up the corners and put it on a treble hook. Should work on a regular hook as long as you make sure you hook all 4 corners of the "net". Works great!

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hello folkes, will re frozen chicken livers still work. I went fishing a couple of weeks ago(got skunked) when I got home, I put the tub in the freezer. I have never used chicken liver before so was just wondering how well re frozen livers would compare to fresh livers.

Jaime

15. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    They will eat your livers like popcorn at a movie...
    I don't advise it, unless you just want to feed the crabs. The James is full of crabs.....

Attached Files:

16. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been told to use pantyhose. start out at the toes and use just enough to hold the liver. tie a knot in the 'leg' part, so when you're ready to use them again, you cut the length you need for the liver and you don't 'waste' the whole pair...I would suggest using the cheapest pair you can find..Sheer to toe, and they don't have to be control top:tounge_out:..pantyhose can get pretty pricey after a while...I've never had any luck with livers myself, so I haven't really tried this though.

17. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    The more liver is frozen the worse it gets. The best and hardest to get liver is fresh. Not the stuff in the store, it`s beeen frozen already. If you live close to a butcher or processing plant you can get FRESH liver. It`s stays on the hook excellent. No tying it or panty hose needed.

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    After they have been frozen, they lose what little bit of holding power they had. The fall right off. So its a NO on the frozen livers.....JMHO.

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We get what is called Rooster livers. You can not beat them off the hook. And even frozen they are tough as all get out.
    Now what I think they are, Is the older chickens. As they are old enough to have a tough liver. We used to kill our own chickens to eat. And the young had tender livers. And the old ones, The livers were tough.
    So you know they have a lot of older laying hens they have to kill. And I think that is what we get., They come in the stores in a 40 lb box. If I can't get them. I use turkey livers
    I never use standard liver.
    They work great.
    Pete

20. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have had good luck with the livers like this. We cut pieces of panty hose into small squares and used fishing line to tie them up around the livers. Stays on the hook well! but even had better luck with turtle livers. Fish on bro!!!!!1