chicken livers

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by snoman774, Feb 17, 2008.

1. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    chicken livers are all i have ever used ,its what grandpa always used work good on good days other not so much. any suggestions

2. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Hi Chris, welcome to the BOC. Go out and get yourself a cast net and catch some shad.:wink:

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Welcome to the BOC.
    Chris, have you ever tried putting garlic salt on them, then drying them in the sun? Toughens them up quite a bit, also an effective bait.
    Also, as Mike suggested, catch some shad, they're the "natural food" for Catfish.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Catfish bait is limited only to the imagination of the fisherman. Try microwaving those livers for a few seconds to toughen them. I prefer cut bait such as skipjack or shad for blues/channels. Its hard to beat bluegills for those flatheads.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris Welcome to the BOC. Add garlic salt to your chicken livers and let tem soak for a few days. Fish love them.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Chicken livers are convenient and good for eater cats. Like Mickey said, doctor them up with garlic salt first. I like to cut fresh livers into bite sized pieces and layer them with plenty of garlic salt between layers. They are nasty, but work well.

7. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chicken livers are mainly for channels. I myself use them for channels. I basiclly do what everyone else does:put them in garlic salt. Cut baits like freshly cut shad and bluegill are the best bait for flatheads and blues.

Welcome to the BOC, may your line stay tight and your drag screaming!

Good luck!

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Chris Welcome to the BOC.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Chris, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.

My favorite bait is skip jack, fresh or frozen, fished cut or whole. 2nd favorite would be fresh caught shad, fished cut, whole or live. 3rd would be Danny Kings punch bait. That's my main three but as mentioned above, the only limitation to your bait is your imagination. Truth be known probably still been more fish caught on a gob of worms over the years than any other bait.

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Get you a cast net and find out where you can catch some shad or use some blue gill.

11. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Chicken liver = turtles.
    Use something native to the water you are fishing. Make sure your bait is fresh.. And I am not exactly sure what type of catfish we are talking about going after here but, for flatheads, I use mostly live bait.

12. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Yah, and be carefull to check and make sure you laws allow you net bluegill, I believe it is illegal here.

13. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    hey guys thanks for all the suggestions and the response i can tell already im gonna like this board thanks again

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Chris. Don't know what waters you fish, but on most waters in Arkansas, skipjack or fresh shad will work best about 98% of the time. Only on rare occasions have I seen other baits such as fresh or cured chicken liver, bacon, salt pork, or chitlings outproduce them.

15. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC.
    I use chicken livers but to tell the truth I have better luck with dip baits.
    I'm gonna try shad this year. Most guys here seem to like live bait better than all other. I'm still learnin so I'm gonna try it.
    best of luck
    just

16. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i like to use chicken livers. if you will wrap them in some cheese cloth, it will stay on longer and is easier to get off the hook than pantyhose. i would also suggest you seriously look at starting to use cut bait and live bait. cut shad and bluegill are awesome baits, and alot of times your bigger fish will be caught on cut or live bait.

17. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome aboard, if you can catch any baitfish step on them and put them on the hook. I've caught many channels with smashed minnows.:cool2:

18. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    I also love chicken livers for channels, but I prefer bluegill and bullhead for cats due to the fact that I have so many right around me for the taking.

19. gryan0607

gryan0607 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yes chicken livers are good when fish are not biting.

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We use Rooster Livers here. Tough as nails you can not throw them off a hook. And we catch 90% blues with them.
    Also add Garlic powder to them at times or Red Food Coloring.
    Also theres days that livers will out produce cut shipjack or live bait.
    Pete