Chicken Livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by KyRiverCats, Sep 9, 2006.

1. KyRiverCats

KyRiverCats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anyone have a recipe for making chicken livers more sturdy so they won't come off of the hook so easily? I usually wrap them in small pieces of panty hose but that is a hassle sometimes. I've tried soaking them in salt brine but they don't seem to do as good as catfish bait that way.

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Let em' toughen up in the sun for a short while and they will work a little better for you. Hope that helps some.

3. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
  4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    For fresh livers I use a crawdad hook , it's a double prong hoook with a upright pin and clasp set up , check your bait store for these . Otherwise look in the library on this sight ,you'll find posts for curing liver .

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Along the Gulf Coast, those are called live shrimp hooks.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The easiest way I have found to toughen up livers is to pour a bunch of salt and garlic, garlic is optional, on them a few days before I plan to use them. Dump the livers out on a plate, cut them to desired size, cover with salt, turn them over, cover with more salt, return livers to container, wait 2-3 days, tough "skin" is formed on the outside of the livers. There is also a method for curing livers in the library.

7. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I have had pretty good luck keeping livers on the hook by wrapping some sewing thread around the livers after it is on the hook. Works well for me!

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I read somewhere that you can boil them, and it toughens them up pretty good. Never tried it personally though. Hope this helps.

-Red

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would just use the livers fresh, and use a treble hook.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I just use an 8 in or so piece of thread. Make several loops and tighten. I have better luck with fresh chicken livers then the cured ones.

11. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Dehydrate or sun cure them, with non iodized salt and a lot of garlic powder. But, I still like fresh the best.

12. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    My brother-in-law does this with a bucket of chicken livers:

Take each liver out of the bucket and lay it down on wax paper. Keep making layers of wax paper, followed by liver. Place the stack of livers and wax papers back in the bucket, and freeze it. This way, when you place your hook in it, the liver is frozen and the hook will want to stick better. Also, freezing with wax papered layers, you now have individual layers, as apposed to one giant frozen trukey liver ball. While the liver is thawing, it will send off the blood and smell, about as fast as a thawed liver would.

What I do is place my large treble hook through the (unfrozen)liver, and then attach my leader to it. I have a much better chance of not losing my bait when I cast.

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I never thought of the freezing method, Kenny. Great idea! :smile2:

14. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    A little brown sugar in them an hour or so before using seems to toughen em up a bit. But usually I just go fresh!

15. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Up until I read your post I was thinking I was a genious for thinking the same thing to do. I didn't think about stacking it in wax paper though. I was thinking to freeze it with the hook on.

16. Luscious Jackson

Luscious Jackson New Member

State:
    IL
    My thought would be that the frozen liver wouldbe somewhat unnatural for the kitty to feel. Might send them the other way?

17. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    wrap the liver around a sliced water chestnut, then wrap the liver with half a slice of bacon. secure with a tooth pick. grill or broil about 4 minutes on each side. insert hook thru the middle. garanteed to catch a better class of catfish.
    Larry

18. jugline

jugline New Member

State:
    Texas
    U can add flower to the liver it will make thicker and hold better

19. catfishslayer

catfishslayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive heard of people freezing them after the bait a bunch up before you go out using the pany hose method.

20. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Insert hook?!?! No catfish is going to get that good meal if I can help it...but I'd rather do without the hook. Might want to slather on a little honey before broiling... :haha: