Chicken livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfish1516, May 8, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    what is the best way to get chicken livers to stay on the hook, every time I cast the stuff usually gos up and comes right back down next to my foot.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    one way i have found it to try and keep it cold and use treble hooks. The best way it to forget the chicken liver and just use Danny kings blood bait. It will stay on better then liver and catch more fish as well.

3. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i too put them in nylons

4. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    get the freshest you can get and keep it cold as he said. i dont like fighting with string or hose in the dark especialy after its been used a few times. i use circle hooks, i loose a few but not that that many. the fresher the better and never refreez them that will realy make them soft and fly off.

5. Just call me C.

Just call me C. New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what i do is bait my hook and when im done, take a segment of a rubber worm and stick it on just past the barb...never comes off

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The best way I know is a treble hook.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree fresh never been frozen work the best. Once they are frozen all they're good for is chum or filling pantyhose.:lol: catch ya later

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The main thing is keeping the livers cold. Also, you don't need to use a big gob of liver to catch channel cats. About a thumb size or bit larger will usually do. I use a pair of Fiskars children's scissors to cut mine up into bait size pieces...less than $2 at Wal-mart. As for hooks, don't use trebles except for DK's punch bait. I've had no problems with Kahle and circle hooks. Again, the secret is really keeping the livers cold, otherwise, they tear apart easily. Also, lob, don't cast the bait hard.

9. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I've never used one, but my brother-in-law uses liver hooks. They have two hooks and a large pin that threads through the bait and then down on the hooks and snaps back onto the hook shank.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm Glad To Find Out That The Frozen Ones Are No Good, I guess I Have A Good Supply Of Chum:roll_eyes: .

I Like The Turkey Livers Better But THey Are Hard To Find:sad2: Elliot

11. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i always get livers that have'nt been frozen yet, and use fine sewing thread. wrap it around a few times.

12. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

That's not completely true. Frozen livers can be used. They may not stay on the hook as well but they aren't necessarily garbage. I've used frozen liver before, successfully. As with most baits, fresh is usually better though.

13. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I freeze mine all the time. I'll generally buy 3 or 4 containers when I'm in Wal-mart or Hy-vee, and keep them in the freezer till the nite or two before I'm planning on using them. Keep them in a small cooler while fishing to keep them cold. Biggest thing is don't try to tear them apart by hand, they turn to mush. I use a little fillet knife to cut the size I want, my fishing buddy uses scissors. I use either a 4 or 6 size treble or a #1 baitholder hook, the treble holds the liver a little better, but the #1 is easier to get out if they swallow it. Most of mine go to the frying pan anyway, so I can get the hook out when I clean them if I have to. Also, don't try to heave them out too hard, just a gentle lob is what I do, and I don't usually have trouble with them flying off the hook.

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Thanks Wayne, I Do Everything Just As You Do With The Exception That I Tore Mine By Hand:eek:oooh: , I gonna Use A Fillet Knife From Now On:big_smile: Elliot

15. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Nylons never worked for me. I shop around for the freshest liver and keep it cold. If you try and tear the liver apart...you will damage it to the point where it is difficult to cast. I use sharp scissors to cut it and I thread my hook (of any variety) through the white membranes tha hold the liver together.

16. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Panty hose is a good way to go. You can tie up a couple dozen of them the night before and keep them soaking in the juices until you need them. The thing is there are certain kinds of panty hose that are narrower in diameter and tie up better than others. Just look through your wife/girlfriend's panty hose drawer and look for the ones that look the smallest at the foot and calf area. Be sure and get them off the very bottom of the drawer so as not to get caught. If she asks you about them look at her like she's crazy. One pair can make about 15 good size chunks. They make for a good chunk of bait and will not sling off the hook. I'm going to make some of them up myself for this Saturday

17. Raypo

Raypo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I as well have used panty hose..... but like already posted Danny Kings is the answer... you will catch more fish

18. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    In the sporting goods department at wal mart they sale a thread for wraping your livers in a x form. then after that make 2 or 3 streight wraps around it. also can be done with just normal thread and you bait is not closed in it will still be fresh and open to the water.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Like everyone says fresh livers, and also try to lob them out rather than casting.