Chicken livers vs. chicken gizzards

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by dirt138, Jul 22, 2007.

1. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    I spend most of my time fishing for channels with chicken livers. I recently noticed that chicken gizzards were cheaper and am wondering if anyone has ever tried them for bait? I assume they would work just as well but noticed there is not as much blood. Does anyone have any experience?

2. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    I have never heard of using chicken gizzards before but i do know that chicken liver works.:confused2:

3. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I've used em several times over the years and I've had pretty good luck with em. In some ways they're better than livers... they're pretty tough and stay on the hook better than chicken livers do even after you let the livers dry... I've caught 3-4 cats off the same gizzard more than once but usually rebait after 2... when you're headed home they're 'fun' to get off the hook tho, but that's kinda the better thing to do with gizzards (when you're headed home) just because they're so danged hard to dehook after they've dried for a day or two and don't seem to work much at all after that... put em in a small jar or bowl and sprinkle em with garlic salt and let em soak for a few hours... a little extra kick... works for me anyways...

Dave

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Gizzards stay on the hook better, but I've always had better luck with livers. Adding garlic salt does help attract cats, but I still do better with liver.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive tried gizzards when they didnt have livers. I prefer livers hands down. I got bites but it seemed harder to set the hook. Check out the BOC library and look for curing livers. Do that right and you'll liver will last for months maybe years. Do a batch of em at a time and you wont have to worry about going to the store for bait and you'll save money. You can catch more than one cat on em too.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I like to eat'em never used them as bait though.:0a23:

7. mikepgh

mikepgh New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Neither?
    © ©
    ©
    ------

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've tried fresh, untreated gizzards right next to fresh, untreated livers, and hardly got a bite on the gizzards, while I caught a fair mess of fish on the livers. Adding some kind of flavor/scent to the gizzards might make them more effective; I don't see how it could make them any less effective.

9. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I've always done better with livers than with gizzards, too. But the drier the livers get the less effective they are, for me at least. I usually let the gizzards 'ripen' for a day or two before I use em. They don't smell so good and you'd certainly want to wash your hands before eatin or anything else... but they work better that way.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have tried gizzards myself had less sucess using it. I too a few years back said hey they are cheaper and stay on the hook way better but they dont work as well. :sad2:

11. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    Okay well im glad I didn't go with the gizzards. How is it though that I have made it my whole catfishing life without ever hearing about curing livers. I can't wait to try that out. Thanks again guys!!

12. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I was in the grocery store a few days ago and bought some chicken livers because I thought I might be able to make it out. Looks like it might be another week-two so I might just run em through my dehydrator.

13. gerbjello

gerbjello New Member

State:
    york, pa
    i never tryed drying my livers but mybe i will give it a try next time i go out for channels thanks for the tip

14. adamant

adamant New Member

State:
    new jersey
    dehydrator sounds interested