Chicken livers, shrimp or cut bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by skipper1, Mar 25, 2007.

1. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    of the three what would be the best for channel cats

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Chicken liver for me. I believe it has more affect than the other two choices.

Tight lines to ya!

:0a23:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like all three but would lean toward cut bait. Chicken livers are good but messy and hard to keep on hook. The use of shrimp has accounted for lots of fish in the boat. When it warms up it's hard to beat Catfish Charlies (Shad) or Wicked Stickey dip baits for channels. I hope this helps.:lol:

4. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    will they hit chicken livers and cut bait durng the evening around 5 or 6 o'clock

5. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Yeah they will..myself I belive that there isnt much better bait then fresh cut bait ..followed by nightcrawlers then livers

6. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Steven, It has been in my experience that different spots produce different results. So with this being said, I would try all three out and formulate your own opinion. Remember if you try all three one night and only one seems to produce, don't totally become biased with the rest because I've seen time and time again in some of my spots when liver for instance was catching fish time and time again, the bite just stopped. I then threw shrimp at em and they never hit shrimp before but on that particular night that was all they would hit. The same thing happened again where cut bait was the only thing that would draw a bite.
    So the point that I am trying to get at is this: For me I like to take some liver and some shrimp with me each trip. I then attempt to catch some live bait when I get to my spot. That way I have all three to work with. I have also found that it's relatively cheap going this route because I can freeze the liver and the shrimp in between trips so I am never really wasting bait.
    I hope some of this helps you out,
    Garrett

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Different baits for different reasons. If I were fishing a body of water for the first time it would be chicken livers the scent dispersion is better than the other two but in my experience ive never realy caught a big channel on liver. as far as shrimp they are in my top three favorites. If the fish are feeding good shrimp are hard to beat and they will get numbers as well as size. As for cut bait its seems as though most of my Giants have come from them. Also if the fish are not hitting well I will use cutbait it seems that they will still hit the cutbait during cold fronts and other factors. My two favorite cutbaits are steaked eels and cut american shad. A large shad will last most of the day. But ive had days where Ive went through four or more when they had the feed bag on

8. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use chicken liver with garlic powder and the bite is always there theres nothing better than the liver

9. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The fellows recommending shrimp were in coastal states while most of the fishermen using liver were in the non-costal states...

I personally prefer to use Danny King's Channelcat Punch Bait with a tubful of rotted stinking chicken livers stirred in... Works like a charm here in Oklahoma.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nightclawers, Cut Bait, and Chicken Livers.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Cut shad for size, chicken liver for eaters, and shrimp on my plate.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Gill heads, shad heads, cut bait, shrimp, then shoot myself as I ain't messing with no more liver.

13. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    were can I get punch bait does wally world have or will I need to make it OR is it only at larger wildlife stores ( bass pro )

14. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Where I fish chicken livers can't be beat.I try to always have liver with me when I fish.However I agree,with the others ,that you should use all three where you fish and find out what works BEST where you fish.I have no doubt that you could catch with any of the three.

15. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    For big channel cats....baits in order would be cutbait, cutbait, and um cutbait. If size was not an issue all three will put em' in the boat here.
    With the addition something potent smelling I cut waiting time down quite a bit, as well as adding to the number of fish caught.

16. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    HOT DOGS!
    Soaked in vinagar and garlic powder!
    Try it you will like it!:big_smile: (I always add sardine juice to mine).

Dang IT! This was suppose to be my secret!

Oh Well!....The CATS are out of the bag now!

HOLD ON TIGHT!!!

17. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Where I fish in Northern California, I've seen plenty of 20+ pound channel cats taken on all three of the baits you mention. However, channel cats don't want the same thing every single day. Mix it up by bringing several baits each trip to determine if they have a preference that particular day. Sometimes you'll get them on all three, sometimes only on one. If you get to the point where you think you know it all, then someone else will eventually prove you wrong.

Nah, Dinner time doesn't start until around 7pm.:big_smile_2:
    But seriously, you can catch cats any time of day. You just need to know where to cast.

18. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I have had a grand old time making homemade baits......I've become quite a mad scientist.

19. Travsher

Travsher New Member

State:
    Columbus indian
    Cut bait is the only bait I have on my boat everytime I get in the water. I just think it is the scent that channels know as food and even when the bite is slow cut bait seem to get a bite.

20. skipper1

skipper1 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    thanx to all. I feel ever since i became a member my catfish skills inceased. still need to no about punch bait