Chicken Livers: never used them

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by breadboy, Jun 28, 2006.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi guys,
    I am wanting to know what is a good way to fish chicken livers. You don't cook them or anything right? You just take them out of the container and bait up. Do you leave them spread out in the sun to toughen up? How do you keep it on the hook? Thanks.

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i am in the process of curing livers and what i useually do is get a 7/0 circle and hook it near one end and pass the hook through the other end, that solved alll my flyoffs and no need to tie them on

but as for raw ones i would use a trebbel or some other hook with pantyhose or cheese cloth

hope this helps

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Use a treble hook, you can let them dehydrate in the sun for a while, just keep the flies off of them, you can also put some garlic salt on them for added flavor. Don't cast them as hard as you would a worm or well hooked bait fish, they are kind of delicate.

Aaron

TA2D

4. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I just use a treble hook. Get a good sized piece, hook one part on the hook the wrap it around. They usually stay on very well for me. If you really want to cast them hard get some thread and wrap it around it after you wrap it on the hook. Then you can cast it pretty much as hard as you want without it coming off. Hope this helps.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Cured with Garlic Powder and Salt. There are step by step instructions in the library. Good luck on the water.

6. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use them right out of the tub. I dont lke frozen ones, they seem to be to brittle. I just hook multiple time in one piece, and try to into the tougher parts. Just use a light cast, to catch small cats you dont need to cast very far at all. Also a splip float works well with liver.

7. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I also just use them straight fom the bucket. Great bait for channels and I also catch alot of hybrid stripes on them.

8. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    They are much tougher but don't smell quite as bad.
    They taste better to me :)

BTW, I'm new here, trying to learn some stuff about catfishing.

9. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    The Great Thing About Chicken Livers Is How Long They Keep The Blood Scent Goin'....i Rarely Use Them, But They Are Irresistable To Some Cats.
    Shaun

10. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    remember you dont get many bites with livers as you do with worms
    I always add extra salt going to try garlic tonight or tomorrow.

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I use two tubs every weekend in the summer and there is no need to toughen them up unless you want some added flavor which is OK also. I use both circle hooks and Kahle type hooks and follow just a couple rules. Never get frozen livers unless that's all you can find after about 20 stops. Look at a piece of liver closely and you will see there is a very thin covering of "skin" that holds it all together. You want to get your hook through that "skin" as many times as possible and you want to do it without tearing that skin any more than you have to. Once you learn to thread it on a hook it won't come off easy, I have tossed liver out letting it set for 15 minutes or so, reel back in and throw it out again, repeat and finally get a bite. Just be careful how you thread it on the hook. Another thing is cut your liver with a pair of scissors so you don't tear up that outer skin.

12. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Bill said it all...the scissors work great for cutting the larger pieces in two. I am a proponent of fresh unfrozen chicken livers. I can't say about the curing but I do plan on trying it. I have never been fishing with worms and liver and caught more with worms. Liver will out-catch worms anyday of the week IMO.

13. SFG

SFG New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Use only fresh if possible and keep on ice. This will help keep the livers firm. Wrapping with thread allows you to cast greater distances. Wouldn't go after channels without chicken liver. One of my favorite baits.

14. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Liver is definately a classic bait that will never die. He is totally right about that "skin" or membrane around them, but if they are falling off just tie some hose or something around it and the hook so it stays on.

15. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    livers its a great bait, but just as said before be sure to hook through skin. it will elimnate fly offs. also those livers will attract more smaller channels. than bigger ones at least in my area they do.

16. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always do well with livers. Just threadin' it on as many times as possible. As far as gizzards I never had luck.....Grocery store was out of livers so we tried gizzards.

17. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    by all means keep it in the sun, the rotting smell attracts more fish, i find that tyson chicken livers work the best.. just get a trebble hook and put it on there and ur good to go!

18. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually take a small tub of livers and before I use them fill it up with garlic salt and shake it up real nice then maybe add some vanilla extract and let it sit. I find this works much better than plain livers. As I fish I pour out some of that blood and juice that is garlic salted and it acts as a chum to attract more fish.

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Fresh livers are a must, frozen are very brittle. Hard to keep on the hook. If you are not curing, then get fresh!!

20. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    when they are frozen and you try to pull them apart they turn into mush!!