Chicken livers is there a better and easier way

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by whisker maniac, May 19, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    when using chicken livers is there a better way than a treble hook or panty hose.

I want to use chicken livers cause the small lake I go to the fish like that the best but there is alot of trash on the bottom and treble hooks hang up too easy and panty hose take too long to rig up.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    MUSTAD MAKES A DOUBLE HOOK WITH A PIN . IT'S LIKE A SAFTY PIN AND I HERE IT WORKS GOOD

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    TRY MUSTAD 79041 HOOK THEY WILL WORK

4. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    AK WOLF showed us how to tie what is known as an eggloop knot that looks like it would work VERY well for liver...I would pm him and talk to him about it, he might can somehow walk ya through it if he will...not the knot. :smile2:

He just posted yesterday on the Missouri gathering if you wanna try to get hold of him in a pm. I don't know how else to tell ya to search for him, I 'm pretty new to the forum.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'd give cured livers a try. Sometimes the cats just want fresh liver, but often they'll hit cured liver just as well, and occasionally even better. Not a cure-all, but another option.

6. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
  7. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    I picked up some hooks at walmart that have a spring wrapped around them they seem to hold liver on really well

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here's an easy way to hold ALOT of liver on a hook without worrying about throwing it off. Put a huge glob on a hook, hooking it as well as possible. then take a length of sewing thread about arms width (5-6 foot) wrap the thread around the hook under the eye. then work your way over and over the liver wrapping a little loosely at first and a little tighter as you go. I use a lot bigger bait now, but i still use liver and crawlers at certain lakes with bobbers and lightsticks. I sling em' too and it dont fall off.

9. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try using roster liver or turkey liver, not as productive as chicking liver but hold together better. I fished a lot of chicken liver behind a boat, there was no need for long cast. By keeping it as fresh and cool as possible helps to keep it together better. I have always just used a 1/0 J hook. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kevin,I have used chicken livers for most of the past 30 yrs. I dont do the panty hose,drying ,thread thing . I just ust a plain ole J hook and use my spinning gear,I rig with a slip sinker or Carolina rig for you bass lingo type,:wink:Just sorta lob em at first till you know what they will take. I usually only cast around 20-40 ft at most when using liver. The most important thing I've found is CUT it with a SHARP knife and keep it COOL. fresh stays on the hook much better and if you pull it or pinch it apart yuo destroy the connective tissue in it and its very fragile.

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    keeping the liver cool is very crucial old cooler with ice in it works for me. also find liver that has some gristle hooks better and stays on god bless rick:smile2:

12. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I read somewhere that freezing liver activates an enzyme in the blood that cats love.So,it helps in two ways.Better hold and better bait.

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive seen so many threads about this subject. And no-one seems to like the thread teknique. I'm going to make a video this weekend and post it. if you seen it done you'd be a believer.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Mark,I aint knockin the thread thing,I'm just too lazy to spend that much time and effort to keep a liver on .

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    To meaning to offend anyone but.....

IMO the precut then freeze idea works with no problems at all. I've done the panty hose and thread thing but honestly why make life hard. Frozen liver will not fall off unless you cast it out like a maniac. I like to change out my liver often to keep the scent going strong and messing with thread and panty hose in the dark isn't my way of doing things.

The dried stuff works the best but prolly not as good as fresh. If you do dry some save the blood then put back the dried liver in it to soak it up.

Its pretty rare for me to use liver anymore, especially in the warm months. The reason is because turtles like it more than the cats do. Fresh cut bait in the end out fishes my liver my far ; )

Beef liver is alot tuffer if ya wanna use it.

-Jim-

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's no trouble at all. it takes about 4 seconds to wrap. and the frozen thing sounds good. but after it's been in the water for a few seconds it'll thaw, leaving your liver hanging off like a snot loogie. one little nibble and your hook is cleaned off. i've tried it about every way i can, and the thread is the easiest, and best way i've found yet. drying it makes it hold really good, and believe it or not it wroks just as good if not better. but it takes time to dry it unless I'm drying it while I'm fishing, it's not gonna happen. lol I'm lazy too....

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Your assumption is incorrect. That's why you precut it. You cant just take a whole piece, stick it on a hook one time and then be surprised it falls off.

Each to his own but like most other folks..I have done the thread and panty hose thing and was able to make a decision based on hands on experience. If you've never done it you cant possibly make the best decision possible.

If you don't try it you are denying yourself a very good method. My point is to be open minded. What ever way you do it, I wish you success.

-Jim-

18. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

ive casted out 200 ft and reeled it back in through reeds and it was perfectly intack

go with the thread man u cant loose :wink:

19. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I could'nt of said it better. I've had better luck and a lot less head aches fishing with chicken livers since I started curing them.

20. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Maybe it IS just a matter of preference. I've tried the frozen thing. and it didnt work as well for me as thread. Anyway. I got tired of getting slimed either way. so, I usually use something the size of a hog leg now. you have a lot longer wait, but it's worth it when you get a bite!