Chicken liver

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by FIXXER, Jun 10, 2007.

1. FIXXER

FIXXER New Member

State:
    ky
    has any body tried cureing liver in the ovenh

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nope, if ya try it let us know how it works out.

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i assume your trying to toughen them up right? if so put them on some foil but dont cook them to long, its not dinner you know:lol: let us know what you find out

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    key word is ON some foil not IN or WRAPPED IN.
    If u close it up it will make it fall apart.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I take it your no married lol put the chicken liver on a old baking sheet lined with foil set in the sun for a few hour's lol it will save a marraige and a brain fracture lmao

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you simply must use the oven, remember that the idea is to cure the livers, not cook them. Cooking them will make them even more tender than they are raw; they won't stay on the hook. Based on making venison, beef, and fish jerky in the oven, I would say that the temp shouldn't be over 140. That's about as low as my electric oven will go; my gas oven only goes down to 170, so I can't use it to make jerky.

7. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i would suggest setting them out in the sun, on wax paper. covered in garlic adn maple syrup . works good for me

8. FIXXER

FIXXER New Member

State:
    ky
    i just thought the oven might cure a little faster useing the top element ill wait till the BOSS is gone oh i mean the wife LOL and try it

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i just tried curing some spleen,blood,and chicken livers in dehydrater.dont do it dry or cure naturaly.i left mine to long and they got hard as a rock.i tried soaking them in water and after 1 hour they were still so hard that they would break when you put a hook in them.

10. FIXXER

FIXXER New Member

State:
    ky
    thanks for the advice posionpit i dont thank im going to try the oven

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While looking for chicken liver recipes earlier today, I noticed one that called for baking them in the oven at 250 degrees. That should be ample warning that if you 'cure' the livers with the oven too hot, they will be cooked, rather than cured. Cooked livers are crumbly, and won't stay on the hook as well as raw livers.

12. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    I just got done trying my hand at sun-curing chicken livers today, and I think it went pretty well. I didn't have any wax paper, so I put some foil down, plopped them livers on it, and covered them in garlic salt. Set em out in the sun yesterday on one side, then repeated it again today on the other side.

They feel like they came out pretty good. They're definetely tough, but they're not hard. I haven't tried putting a hook through any of them yet, but I'll be doing that tonight. I'm pretty excited!

13. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I usually put some salt in the tub them it toughens them up aa little bit for me. just let the salt sit in there for a day or so.

14. katfishbangin

katfishbangin New Member

State:
    Indiana
    its funny you asked this questiom. I was anxious to go fishing but I had been at work all day and did'nt have the time to do it correctly in the sun. I put them into the oven for a couple of hours. DONT DO IT. very tender won't stay on hook. FALLING OFF OF THE HOOK.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I am in the process of frying some chicken livers for supper; temperature of the oil is 275 degrees. These things cook at a very low temp, compared to other food or chicken parts.