Chicken Liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by EastBayPunk, Jan 11, 2007.

1. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    Hey, I fish for channel cats that avg around 5 or 6 lbs. I use chicken liver mostly. i was wondering if it's better to use a treble hook or single, if so what size? We've been having a lot of problems with missing fish.

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    ok, here I use treble hook in river because its current. I use single hook in lake.

3. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    This is a reservoir, I should probably also add that I am using a slip bobber rig.

4. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    1/0 to 4/0 is good size hooks for channel.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use 5/0 Daiichi cricles or 7/0 Daiichi wide gap Octopus.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I shore fish using livers and always use treble hooks. I always figured they'd tear off of a single hook when casting so I never tried. You folks using circle hooks with liver, how do you hook em and how many do you loose casting?

7. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    maybe some more info about your rig would help ... what size/type hook are you using now? is your bobber small enough for them to pull under? do you wait until the bobber goes all the way under before setting the hook?
    The fish you are missing may be the smaller ones, a #4 treble will help hook the smaller ones if you want to know if they are the ones rob'in your bait.

8. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    I got about 3 bites last weekend and never set the hook, I was waiting for them to take it down.. but they never did. I think I am gonna try mackerel this weekend.

9. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    sounds like little guys to me ... and if you can get your hands on some good fresh cut bait ... hook it up :big_smile:

10. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    if your gonna eat em, id say trebles cause livers stays on better. widegap for releasing. treble tend to get swallowed. let him take it all the way in his mouth , try not to snatch too soon.

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    could also be bluegills doing that to you. I've caught gills or bullheads on my trebles when fishing at lake nockamixon with my wife using livers.

12. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N

There is a place called catfish connection dot com that sells a special hook for liver. I plan on ordering some before the end of the month and give them a try. This hook has some type of "clasp" that fits over the liver and hold it in place while a double hook is ready for a big cat's jaw to close down on. It may be a while before I get out and use liver again this year, being January and all, but when I do, Ill post back here how it worked. Hopefully a sister or brother here has tried out one or two of these hooks and can tell you more than I can.

Kenny

13. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    So, if it is true that the bluegill are messing with my bait. do you guys you think that they would mess with mackerel?

14. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    You can catch fish either way.

With all things being equal, treble hooks will hold livers better.

If you use a single hook, an alternative is to wrap some stretchy thread around the bait. Or, you can even put the liver into some netting, tie off the top of the newly formed sack, and then put your single hook through the whole glob. Steelhead fishermen sometimes use this technique for slinging eggs into the current. I've even seen people use panty hose material for the same purpose.

Another option for treble hooks is to thread the liver onto the top of your treble hook instead of the traditional 'wrap around the hook'. This can be done by using a snap swivel directly attached to the hook (remove the hook from the swivel, bait up, put hook back on swivel) or by using a bait threading needle to thread a liver chunk onto your leader so you can slide it down your line until the bait rests directly on top of the hook. This technique gives a better hold to the liver than just wrapping the livers around and around the hook points.

Now go get bit:lol:

15. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    Cool, thanks Knot :smile2:

16. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My experiences with liver/pantyhose combos are too messy to be worthwhile. When using liver, I use dough trebles. (the ones with the springs) They seem to hold about 85% of the livers I hook on them.
    I have to agree with FishBrew though. I have only been seriously catfishing for a few months now but once I started using cut bait on a circle hook, I began catching more and bigger channel cats. No more dinky bullheads taking my bait before something bigger gets its chance. I mostly fish a reservoir here in NC and have found that I have best results on white bass. Don't know whats in your area, but just about anything will work. Even the dinky bullheads. Usually I bring along some livers and fish those and use what I catch with the livers for cutbait. Good luck and keep at it....fishing only gets better!

17. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    Well actually I am thinking about cutting up some trout and using that. It's not exactly legal, but I had lots of luck in a nearby reservoir doing that.

18. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Ok here is my trick to keeping liver on the hook
    Use a treble any size make a 12in leeder with a loop at one end. Take a croshet hook (used for knitting) Number 10. Run that through the liver, hook it up on the loop run your liver down the leeder so it sets in the hook instead of around it. Attach the leeder using a swivel, and give it a wingdinger on into the water. The fish have to bite the hook to get to the liver so more fish, less time rebaiting.

19. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Hey EBP, I'd be careful on that one. There are some serious consequences for using trout as bait in California. Big channel cats eat other fish. Check the local regs of the lake you are fishing and see if you can catch some bluegill, carp, or other fish to filet and use strips of cut bait. I'd hate to see you get busted, lose your gear, and get major fines for using an illegal bait.

There are better baits than trout that will catch you plenty of cats and not get you in trouble.

20. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    Yeah, you're right. It's not worth the risk.