Chicken Liver?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by MattyGfishing, Jan 10, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    Where can I buy fresh chicken liver, and what kind of and size hook should I use?

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :smile2:You should be able to get it at any grocery store that sell meat .
    As far as a hook size you might want to use treble hook till you master puting it on any other hook . They also make liver hooks . Buy an extra tub or 2 till you get the hang of hooking and casting it . On hot days it seems to work best if kept cold and fresh . I wouldnt try to much weight or casting hard other wise you will just be doing alot of chumming

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Or stick it in panty hose or I also heard of just wrapping regular sewing thread around it a few times and that helps to hold it on:wink:

4. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    Most all bait shops have liver but I usually just go to the grocery store to get mine, its closer. A 3/0 Kahle hook is a good size to use for channels.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    All good answers here but I would also look into using other baits,,as in cut bait. Nothing wrong with liver but to me it's just a hassle...now if I was to use liver I would use it pre-cut and frozen.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I tie mine on with Red thread

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you cure your liver first then you can put it on a regular hook and not have to worry about it.Cut to whatever sizes you want put it on a rack a cookie sheet something like that.Salt it pretty good then ad garlic powder,and let it sit out in the sun for an hour or two until it gets a little leathery and there you go.dont have to worry about thread or pantyhose or any of that stuff.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always use fresh livers, never frozen! I use a trot-line hook and have gotten quit good at hooking it on and casting it out without slinging it off. It has taken many years of experience though. It is my go to bait for channelcats. Shad work very well for me too.:big_smile: Obtained at the grocery store.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    We chum for channel cats and average 50-100 per trip from May to October. Try turkey liver it works much better.The pieces are bigger and it stays on the hook much better. You can buy it by the 40lb block frozen and thaw it as needed. We went through 240 lbs last season.If you have to cast it a distance you can tie it on with sewing thread.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I love these liver threads! It's like asking what/who the perfect spouse is, everyone has a different idea.

I seldom have a problem fishing it. (the kind of liver we get here?)
    For me,,,, chicken liver generally has two "lobes", most times I cut it in between and use half on a 2 or 3/0 hook and try to get the fat, if any, hooked last to help hold it on. I like it frozen on account of it takes longer for it to "mush out" in warm weather. Carefully peel it off the frozen "block" as it thaws.

IMO, I think a smooth cast is very important. Good, even, acceleration and just the right timing on the line release. No "jerks" to throw the bait off the hook.

When I loose a peice, it is almost always because I "boogered" the throw.
    That's when I say I did it on purpose! Don't laugh, I was just chumming the hole!!:wink::smile2::smile2:

11. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    You can't snap your wrist like the bass fishermen do. You need to swing the rod gently like the surf casters do.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Liver can be very difficult to use, but here is one technique that might help.

buy the liver at the grocery in the tub

Take the actual livers out of the tub, but keep the blood that remains

Put the livers on a glass or ceramic plate and microwave them for a few seconds. (time will vary based on microwave) *** You don't want to cook them, the microwave will begin to toughen them up a little.

When they are slightly toughened up, them take them out, put them back in the tub with the bloody water and they should stay on your hook with no problems.

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Using chicken liver here tends to catch alot of yellow bellies .

14. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Matthew welcome to the BOC!
    The small lake I fish here in Western NC doesn't produce many "big" channel cats. I usually buy my chicken livers at the local supermarket in the poultry section of the meat Dept.
    I've found that baitholder hooks work well with chicken liver. Try not to tear the liver when threading the hook though or you'll run into problems keeping in on. Thread on enough liver to completely cover the hook. The barbs on the baitholder hook shank help hold the liver in place.
    I usually use 1/0 baitholders and the channels take the liver & hook in one gulp, rarely missing the hook set. Good luck, hope this helps.
    :smile2:

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Go to the grocery store and buy 4 to 6 tubs of fresh chicken liver(depending on how many cats you are planning on feeding.) Buy at least two bottles of garlic powder and 2 boxes of non-iodized salt. On a hot sunny day start early and place the chicken livers on aluminum foil in direct sun light. Coat the livers heavily with the garlic pwder and salt and leave them to bake in the sun for about 4 hours. The tops will start to dry and the edges will start to turn a different shade of brown. Now flip them over and coat the other side heavily with garlic powder and salt and as stated you can't put to much salt. Let them bake in the sun another 4 hours and they will be ready. Place them in gallon freezer bags until you are ready to use them.

When you are ready to go fishing take as many of them out of the bag as you think your cat will eat and throw them out:wink:. Now grab your shad net and go catch some fresh shad and go fishing:smile2:. Sorry guy's i couldn't resist, they really do work pretty good for channel cats :big_smile:

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    When I use liver, I tie a piece of string and it holds great. Can toss it hard out there:wink:

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    one thing here about chicken liver i use a no 6 laser sharp treble hook from eagle claw and also I work in a grocery in dayton ohio that sells fresh is the key here. i also use nylon hose to keep it on the hook works great even using the treble hooks and nylon hose cast is very gently easily. On the great maimi liver works very great catfishing channel catfish, yellow bullheads carp and turtle softshells snappers and leatherback. another thing here said keep it frozen during the summer keeps it from mushing up good luck rick

18. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    i use liver when i can't caught any blue gill or eels! but they well work! some people like to use cow liver because it holds better on the hook! when i have to use the chicken liver i use gray sewing string to hold it on the worst part is getting the string of the hook:wink:. i find that using chicken liver get me little cat but when i use live or cut bait i can get the bigger ones to bite!

19. 10POUNDER

10POUNDER New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Livers are awesome ! I use them alot when fishing for eaters .... I use a 2/0 worm hook and when you put this stuff on your hook only hook it threw two or three times! And when you cast ,cast far and hard but more into a lob action . DONT WHIPP YOUR ROD WHEN YOU CAST and you should be alright ! Hope it helps you at all!:cool2:

20. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    another little secret is to snell your hooks more towards the hook, leaving a gap that helps keep the liver on the hook. i also use egg sac netting, but my favorite is beef liver with the skin on, a couple pokes through the skin and the only way it's coming off is a knife.