Chicken liver in stockings

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by proughman, May 30, 2006.

1. proughman

proughman New Member

State:
    PA
    Has anyone had luck putting chicken liver into stockings to keep them on the hook? If so will catfish bite on them?

2. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Tried it and it works, but it's a pain in the butt. I just buy that red elestic string they sell at Walmart. Pretty cheap and effective. Just bait your hook, wrap the shack a time or three, wrap it around the liver 8 or 10 times, then around the shank 4 or 5 more times and break it off. It's a lot easier to clear a hook to reload than trying to cut off that nylon bag.

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I have never tried it, because it does seem to be too much of a hassle. I just use a single hook, and make sure to run it through the liver a couple of times, and never have a problem unless I really whip the rod forward while casting. I use either a couple of split shots, or a small bell sinker plus the weight of the liver will also help you cast and also keep it on the bottom.

4. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I have tried the stockings, not sure it's worth the trouble. I have had the best luck changing the liver after 20-30 minutes anyway, and the stocking makes that a pain. I rig mine like rebcatman, though with a bigger sinker. Thread the liver on like a live worm, and you won't have many problems, just be gentle on the cast.

good luck!

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I think keeping your liver fresh and on ice, is the key! Nylons, thread, cheese cloth all work, but are messy and time consuming! Fresh liver, cut with a sharp knife, and a little finesse on your cast works best, I think!

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I did for the first time on sunday and man what a difference. just make sure the hooks large enough to come out and hook the fish.

7. PapaBear6801

PapaBear6801 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've never tried stockings to keep the liver on. I usually just try to thread the liver on the hook and be easy with the cast. Put too much muscle into your cast and you'll let the liver fly! :eek:oooh:

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Tried it once and got in whole lot of trouble with the wife!!!! Didnt even get a bite that night so it really wasnt worth the hassle! :big_smile:

9. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    hey proughman, be sure to clear it with the wife or you'll be forced to endure a shopping excursion to replace them LOL:lol:

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    DH, swears by this method, He uses nylons but they ain't for livers, LOL!!!

OOOOPS!!! Did I say that, LMAO!!!

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    it works if you have trouble with it depends on how much trouble you are willing to do use needle and thread it though the eye hook
    but for myself I just use treble hooks.

12. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just tie your liver on with some extra fishing line, and although it might be better for your stomach an gag reflex to keep the livers fresh, fish will still bite on them rotten

13. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    It works but i have only 1 thing to tell you. DO NOT use used/worn stockings.

14. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    uh oh, looks like you left the catfisherman out of the bag. Or is that closet? LOL:big_smile:

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I have allright luck using cheese cloth but those Wal-Mart things may be the ticket!
    The "stocking" or cheesecloth baits I usually make a few and bundle em' all up in a bag before I go to the river. Just alot easier to deal with all the mess.

16. cornbreadnky

cornbreadnky New Member

State:
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    I know alot of guys who have tryed the stockings but i am finding out the dept of wildlife is starting to outlaw stockings.... they have found that the fish that get away or have been released are dieing.... not a good thing...you might want to check with local GW to check on the law in your state.... be safe and good fishing

17. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    cut them into chunks with sharp scissors instead of breaking them apart with your hands and they will stay on alot better..

I guess pulling them apart stretches the membrane in them

18. SFG

SFG New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just wrap from the eye to the barb and back with about 12 to 15 inches of cheap cotton sewing thread. Use sharp scissors to cut the livers which also help in removing the thread when you rebait. This method allows me to cast without worry of losing the bait, and helps to prevent the smaller fish from sucking the bait off the hook.

19. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    how about using really small rubber bands??

20. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    A little cheesecloth goes a long way~ I like the thread idea but seems a bit too messy though. I may try it after reading about the health hazard to the fish. Can't have that!