Chicken Liver Ideas

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Shootandfish1, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hello-Found this site by accident last night and feel that I have hit the jackpot. I was researching jon boats. The Admin. won't allow me to view pictures until i have 10 posts so I am going to submit several short ones to get my 10.

A local outdoor writer for our newspaper had an article about catfishing using chicken livers. He said to use a small piece of first-aid or bandage guaze and thread to help keep the liver on the hook. Supposely it worked great.

My fishing buddy says to use frozen livers.

Any thoughts?-Thanks in advance-Fred

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Fred.

3. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thank you guys-Suppose to mow the yard today- I got a feeling that the mower just broke.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome Fred. As far as liver is concerned I been usein elastic thread for a long time and it works like a champ. There are several other good ideas on the board but this one has worked best for me over the years.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Fred! Cured chicken livers will not only stay on the hook better, but if kept cool, will last a couple of years without freezing. Most of the time, they'll work as well or better than fresh livers.

6. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'm sorry, but I don't know what is meant by 'cured chicken livers'. Please explain.-Thanks-Fred

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  8. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thank you so much-I am headed to central florida soon and one of my fishing buddies loves to fish for cats using chicken livers. I understand how country hams are cured and this is similar. Will be trying this out.

Any variations or is garlic the magic flavor?

Is the sun drying necessary? Could you mix the salt and garlic together, cover the livers well and place in a sealed container, like the night before fishing.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Definetly try curing them, ive heard of it for years. Until this site I never tried it but thanks to some great articles cured livers is the livers I use. I just did a side by side with cured garlic to fresh and I only caught fish on cured. It also works as a great bluegill bait for me. Ive only tried garlic but strawberry or kool aid would probably work too, but garlic sounds good to me.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fred, I've tried using anise instead of garlic, but I couldn't tell that it made any difference in the bite. Actually, my theory is that it's the salt more than the garlic or anise. Salt pork will catch catfish.

11. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Jerry- I am planning to leave for Orlando area in about a week or so. You can bet that we will be using your cured livers. Will be fishing the St. Johns river and tributaries.

Trying to decide on buying a jon boat first or mostly bank fish and rent pontoons every now and then.

Where on this formum do you fellows talk about cooking your cats, as I am a catch and eat sort.

Thanks again-Fred

12. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    WELCOME FRED! BE CAREFUL. This site not only broke my mower, but it ruined a brand new paint brush. Don't fret---I got over it.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Fred, you're actually liable to find something on cooking and eating cats under just about any thread, but the best place to look is the thread called the BOC Diner. All kinds of good recipes in there.

If you want to do some saltwater fishing from shore, there's a really nice jetty on the north side of the St. Johns where it runs into the ocean. The jetty on the south side is on the Mayport Naval Station. It's been a coon's age since I was there, but it used to have a nice flat concrete top running about halfway out; after that it was all jumbled rock. Good fishing, especially on the ocean side. Further north at Fernandina, we had some really good black drum fishing at Ft. Clinch State Park, fishing the St. Marys river. Interesting sightseeing up there too. Don't know how the fishing is around St. Augustine, but that used to be a 'don't miss' for sightseeing. Of course, that was back when Walt was still trying to get people interested in his crazy idea of having a theme park in California.

14. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    this will be short-I have got to get the grass cut or catch you know what. Dry as it has been looks like this will be the last time I will have to mow-Never saw any profit in mowing grass.

Anyway when I get more time I'll have to share my fishing partners way of frying fish that is not greasey and in truth is fairly healthy. I am suppose to learn all about the 'secrect' stuff she uses on my upcoming trip-Best fish i've had yet-Fred

15. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    There is a Tea brand Out Called Revolution the tea bags are little mesh square pockets that work great for holding the liver plus you get a great cup of tea :wink:

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Fred. Good luck on your upcoming trip. Also look forward to seeing the fish cooking recipee. Always looking for new and better ways. The cooker you see in my avitar is what i use for bigger fish frys. I use louisiana fish fry(original in the blue bag) and it is pretty good.

17. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    HI Ya!! Tryed tying livers in 5"x5" of cheese cloth. Worked, but next time will try old (used?) panty hose. Fish seemed to be able to pull liver out of cheese cloth--too loose of a weave? Don't know! Hose has smaller openings. Any other suggestions out there????
    Howard, Columbus, OH (Sill a MI fan-just living among Buckeyes!!):cool2:

18. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks again folks-funny that most good things in life like finding this site are by chance-Trying to get ready to leave will post when i have more time- Fred

19. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Fred, be sure to check out the library!!

20. poptart38247

poptart38247 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is there any way you guys prepare the livers, or do you just use them the way they come? last time I used chicken liver, caught nothing.:crazy:
    not even a bite. but my dads friend caught a 20 pound channel there.
    Any help would be good. Thanks