Chicken liver flavoring?????

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by tncatfishing, Jan 16, 2008.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I bought three containers of chicken liver and I know it is a good cat bait especialy channels. But I am going to add vanilla and garlic to it. My question is what if anything do yall add to it?

2. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Most of the time I don't add anything to them. I have used garlic powder or cherry koolaid.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I started using garlic powder a few yrs. ago and noticed a improvement in the numbers of Channels i was catching.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Vanilla and Garlic salt is what I've been using for quite sometime now and I believe it works very well.

:wink:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I add Garlic salt and lots of it over a period of two days.I also use non idonized salt. I turn the chicken livers a couple of times each day.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    That's one thing I haven't fished with muhc.. chicken livers. I know with shrimp garlic salt is a pretty good flavoring additive. Has helped me for sure.

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have used cherry koolaid and garlic powder. they do work but i seem to have my best luck with regular old chicken livers.:wink:

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i also use garlic powder and salt,sometimes bacon grease.I know some old timers use peperation h on everything,and it does work!

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Strawberry-Banana jello. Sometimes it works better than plain.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think we've decided in past posts that iodized salt will definitely turn off the cats. To me, that's just another reason not to use garlic salt; I don't know whether or not the salt is iodized. I do know that it's a whole lot cheaper to buy the garlic powder and non-iodized salt separately; you can sprinkle them on separately, or make up your own garlic salt. I've done both.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Go to the grocery store and buy 4 to 6 tubs of fresh chicken liver(depending on how many cats you are planning on feeding.) Buy at least two bottles of garlic powder and 2 boxes of salt. On a hot sunny day start early and place the chicken livers on aluminum foil in direct sun light. Coat the livers heavily with the garlic pwder and salt and leave them to bake in the sun for about 4 hours. The tops will start to dry and the edges will start to turn a different shade of brown. Now flip them over and coat the other side heavily with garlic powder and salt and as stated you can't put to much salt. Let them bake in the sun another 4 hours and they will be ready. Place them in gallon freezer bags until you are ready to use them.

When you are ready to go fishing take as many of them out of the bag as you think your cat will eat and throw them out:wink:. Now grab your shad net and go catch some fresh shad and go fishing:smile2:. Sorry guy's i couldn't resist, they really do work pretty good for channel cats :big_smile:

12. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Chicken livers must work because a lot of people say they do. I have tried them at least 20 times and never had a bite. I caught channels on a lot of other things but never on livers. I don't get it. Maybe it's just me.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I firmly believe that fresh shad or skipjack (fresh or frozen) will outfish any other bait on the Arkansas River system. But I always keep some cured livers on hand as a fallback bait. I have seen the time that the cats would hit cured liver and nothing else; and I've seen the time cats wouldn't touch it. Another fallback bait I try to keep on hand is salt pork or bacon. Both it and the cured liver will keep indefinitely if I keep them cool, so I don't have to invest a lot of money in a bait I probably won't use.