Chicken hearts any good?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Jester2012, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Jester2012

Jester2012 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My boss gave me a 5 gallon bucket a little over half full of chicken hearts and gizzards. I was wondering if they would work well in rivers and streams too or just in ponds and lakes? Also, I coated a quart size bag full with salt and garlic powder to help smell better, think that would work? If they don't bite the seasoned hearts then them fish are just plain dumb because the smell of the garlic made me want to eat it :eek:oooh:

I put this here instead of catfish discussion because I'll be fishing in the white river in Batesville, AR. I grew up fishing it but have never tried chicken hearts or gizzards anywhere for that matter.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. I have never used chicken hearts, they might work.
    Putting the garlic on them was a good idea. Keep us posted on how you do with them.

3. Jester2012

Jester2012 New Member

State:
    Arkansas

Thankyou, I've read the forums for about a year before I actually joined :smile2:

4. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
  5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've used chicken livers for years and occasionally get a few hearts or gizzards mixed in with them. I always put one of the hearts or gizzards on the hook to help hold on the livers. I have noticed that as soon as the livers are gone and the only thing left on the hook is the heart or gizzard.....no more bites for me. I would fry them up and enjoy them. I've never caught a single fish on them!:crazy:

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Joseph,

Welcome to the BOC... So glad to have another Arkie join the ranks..

Don't forget to check out the member library.. There is tons of info in there on all kinds of things related to boating and fishing.

Also Check out the BOC Diner. There is a ton of great recipes in there that will make your mouth water and your belly very satisfied. You may even find some good recipes in there for those hearts and gizzards.

I too have never had any luck on gizzards and hearts on the hook.
    You might need to let them sit out in the sun and let them get a little ripe???
    I have never tried them that way but might work.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning & welcome to the B.O.C., The chicken hearts work pretty well & they are user friendly with single hooks. IMO they aren't as good as the livers but with a little doctoring, they do work.

Put them on a cutting board, poke holes in 'em,put into a ziplock bag then put sardine oil & lots of garlic salt. If you put in enough salt it will prevent them from being completely frozen solid & you'll be able to hook them up w/o thawing them out.

HTH, Elliot

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Joseph! I've tried plain fresh chicken hearts, gizzards, and livers right alongside each other, and 90% of the fish were caught on the livers. While I've never tried seasoning hearts or gizzards with garlic salt or anise, that couldn't do anything but help IMO. Check out out library to find out how to 'cure' chicken livers to make them tougher, and preserve them.

10. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    If I had that much of them I'd be having them for supper. My favorite part of the chicken.

11. Jester2012

Jester2012 New Member

State:
    Arkansas

Just noticed that you sir are only 100 miles south of where I'm going friday lol. And thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

12. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We buy chickin hearts down here in a 20lbs box. We use them on jugs all the time. We catch a good many of fish on them but the bait of choice for me is cut bait or live bream. I bet you will catch fish on them.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Only 100 miles, but totally different water. Clear mountain streams and lakes up there, if I'm not mistaken. Hope you have good luck with your jugs. You'll have to bring them down to the Arkansas River sometime.