Chicken gizzards?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by okie gal, Nov 2, 2007.

1. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    Flintman and I fished a pond last week near Arcadia and we only caught 2 fish. They were blues. One weighed 6 1/2 lbs and the other one is on my avatar. It weighed 10 lbs. I caught mine on a chicken gizzard. That's the first time I've fished with gizzards. Anyone else have any luck using them?

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I've used them a few time, mostly in garlic powder. They dont come off the hook easily.

3. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    My grandpa used them for years on trotlines and managed to catch his share of nice cats. I have tried them many times and seemed to get skunked. I actually believe if a person has faith in a bait then it will work because they are more apt to keep using it. Eventually whatever bait is used, it will catch enough fish to become a go-to-bait.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've tried them (and hearts) right next to chicken livers, and while the livers caught fish, the gizzards & hearts didn't. But all were untreated, just like I got them from the store. That could make a big difference. I've had pretty good luck with chitterlings soaked in garlic, anise, shrimp flavoring, etc. But, IMO, you can't beat fresh shad or skipjack, at least in the Arkansas-Tennessee area.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    As you have already proven, gizzards will catch fish. You will up the affect by adding garlic a couple of days ahead of time. Nice fish in your avatar.:big_smile:

6. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I fish Grand lake all of the time, I use the gizzards only if I am leaving the Jugs out overnight. I catch more than my fair share on them, the only problem I have is taking them off, I have a pair of scissors, fillet knife, plyers, and anything elese I can find to get them off. The will catch more than one fish, because the fish cannot get them off either. I only fish for blues, and never on the bottom. Hope this helps, Bobby, S:big_smile:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, I guess I am in the minority again. The only place for gizzards and liver is in MY stomach. The cats have just gotta wait. LOL

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I love them gizzards also.

9. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The best place for chicken gizzards and livers is on my plate too! Nothing satisfies that craving quite like it! :wink:

10. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    Alright you guys. I was trying to ask a somewhat intelligent question.lol
    Personally, I really like to eat chicken gizzards when they are fried. I can't imagine what they would taste like raw. YUK

11. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I have better luck with livers,but I've caught cats on hearts and gizzards too.It seems I get a quicker response useing livers over the other two.However as was pointed out before the livers don't stay on the hook as well,so I feed alot of cats aswell:confused2:

12. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    The best way I've found to use gizzards is fishing under the commorant (water turkey) roosts. Either pitching a weightless gizzard or with a cork right under the trees. The gizzard doesn't produce as much scent like the liver or heart will. The bite under the bird roosts is a reaction bite. The fish hear the splat of the gizzard hitting the water and think it's bird droppings. The bite can be almost instant if the fish are feeding under the trees. The gizzard is tough and stays on the hook well. You can catch a lot of fish on the same bait. Punch bait works well for this method as well.

13. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The longer on the hook the better the bite, gizzards work better on trot lines ,etc for fresh results choose a local bait that is in season.

14. papasfishing

papasfishing New Member

State:
    cleveland,oklahoma
    livers are better

15. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    Have you tried turkey livers. We tried them recently and they stay on better than the chicken livers.

Okie gal

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    So will rooster livers. Finding them around here is the problem.