Chicken gizzards

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfishinginky, Dec 1, 2006.

1. catfishinginky

catfishinginky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    any recipies for gizzards in the colder months on lakes and rivers where the work good in the warmer months?

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome James to the BOC/SOC.

I don't know about using them as bait, but my Father loved them cooked with rice. Sorry.

Enjoy the site, post, ask, read and welcome!

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    never had much luck with gizzards....Actually never caught a fish on a gizzard that I can remember, but I've lost all my hair and can't remember why.....

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC James, I would just use chicken livers.

5. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Good advice above i cant ever recall catching nething on gizzards, fry em up and eat em and use the liver.

6. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's a link to a post I made earlier this month. It has some info on gizzards that I have used.

I don't know about your area as to where they work in the summer or winter, but it works ok in other areas. You can't really use them by themselves as they don't seem to have enough juice to attract but when you combine them and do pick up the scents they will work better.

Gizzard link - click here then scroll down a bit

7. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    CatHound.. Good article.. Try this also.. Throw some shrimp in with that mixture as the shrimp will soak up the blood much better.. The gizzards and shrimp will stay on the hook longer vs liver and heart. I don’t use the chicken hearts though instead strips of beef heart. Add just a little of your favorite oil to it in a glass jar out in the sun for a week. Do not tighten the cap! This works the best during the hot summer months around here.

8. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I used chick gizzards and hearts marinated with curry and garlic salt. I have never used them with success on my rod and reel, but I did catch a huge turtle (~18" in diameter) using them as bait on a jug line. Course I'm not into turtle stew so I released it.

I wouldn't recommend using gizzards when there is so much better bait out there ... unless they are your only option.

Best of luck out there, and if you happen to find my luck while your out, tell it that I miss it and would like to have it back.

9. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the BOC Brother
    Hey save them gizzards for the dressing, and use the liver for fishing.

10. waitinforwhiskers

waitinforwhiskers New Member

State:
    Port Lavaca, Texas
    i would rather eat them than use them for bait too. never had luck with them

11. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Ive never caught a single fish on gizzards, I've had luck with every other part of a chicken though.