Chicken Gizzards Why not?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 17, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    today at lunch munching on some chicken gizzards that were paticularly tough I thought why cant these be used as bait? Is it because our fathers and grandfathers told us they didnt work? I asked my father-in-law about gizzards and he plainly said they dont work!!! I asked why and he said his dad told him!!! So my question is has anyone tried it? Yesterday on here I was reading the strangest thing found in a cats stomach. Well I say after reading that ,cats might like gizzards so im asking all you catters out there for your input!!!

Tonight I am headed out with some gizzards that have been punctured with a ice pick and soaked in chicken liver blood and garlic. Ill report back my findings monday!!!

2. ike9389

ike9389 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    how did they work , what did you catch

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I made post today going tonight 08/17/07 Ill keep you posted though!!!!:tounge_out:

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    ive used them with no luck but, that doesnt mean anything really, i used them out of the packageing without soaking them. they arnt that bloody so soaking them in liver blood will probably work, for channels/small blues anyway.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I've tried 'em Will, didn't get a bite whatsoever....so I hope you have better results tonight! :cross:

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    have used them and never gotten bit.

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :big_smile:
    Did you do anything to them or just out of package?:big_smile:

8. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    hey, ive tried them and never had a nibgble, but i didnt do anything to them..ive also never had any luck with hearts and my friend swears by those..so who knows, maybe i just dont present them correctly.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Be sure to read the other thread about gizzards.

10. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    4 bullheads, 3 channels, 4 blues!!!

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    sounds like a good recipe you came up with, were gettin alot of rain right now so a day or 2 after the rain is done ill have it hit the river, think ill might try it then. thanks for the results.

12. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I use them all the time on the north end of Toledo Bend. Chicken hearts work better but can't always find. Caught blues on both. Not as good as bream cut bait or buffalo or carp but they work ok in ths spring of the year. I don't even soak mine.

13. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Hey i went where ive always caught cats every time and got squat!! BUT i pulled mine directly outta the pack also! Soakinem' in liver blood and garlic?? that should do the trick, but by themselves NADA!! Good luck

14. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    For me it is simple, I like to eat gizzards and I do not like any kind of liver. Which one do you think I will use for bait?

I am going to try soaking them in some concoction though and give them a try, for bait.

Grits

15. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I marinated some in kosher salt(which I keep on hand anyway for cooking), anise oil, chicken blood, garlic powder and a tablespoon of dip bait....All the cat's don't come runnin to it, but I've caught enough to keep me interested....With the dose of salt, they don't spoil and you can keep em for ever...I keep em in the car truck all the time as an "emergency" bait....I'll mainly use Rooster livers/cutbait...Of course, turtles like em....The thing I like about the concoction is that you can throw it in the trunk/pu bed and you don't have to refrigerate...They smell the same everytime you take em out....

16. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    No luck myself with the gizzards up these parts. I have tried them several times and differenet marinades NADA. Maybe one day I will give them another shot for $2 buck why not.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I try to keep some cured chicken livers on hand for a backup bait, but if I'm caught without them, some salt pork or bacon makes a pretty good, easily available backup bait.

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use them in my local pond sauted in garlic when the gills get so thick its the only bait that will stay on.

19. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I have fished with gizzards before. I was fishing behind a spillway. It took a long time but I did get a bite, s good one. Didn't get to see it because the line broke.