Chicken Coops?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does anyone have there own chicken coops?

Any major problems with 3-4 laying hens?

Post your Chicken coop pictures! :tounge_out:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    laidbck111, thats funny. LOL
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Paul, you got laying chickens.
    main problem is snakes and fox in the chicken coop. Maybe the kids breaking eggs.
    Also chickens in the coop eat their own poop so it never needs cleaning. LOL.
    When the chicken stops laying. Time for BBQ and beer.
    What else.

BTW.
    I wish you the best on your next trip overseas.
    Thanks and GodBless.

Merry Christmas
    Dano

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i live in the inner city so no "farm animals" allowed:sad2: but you can bet if i lived in the country i'd have a yard full of those beautiful creatures!:smile2:

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

On a more serious note growing up we had chickens and the only problems we really had were coydogs, yotes and cats trying to get into the hen house. Avoiding the rooster was a problem, he took his job seriously. the type we had were

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Silver Ameraucana pullet and cockerel
    Photos courtesy of Mike Gilbert
    [​IMG]
    A Blue Ameraucana pullet
    Photo courtesy of Mike Gilbert
    [​IMG]
    A Blue Ameraucana cockerel

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    One of the guys that owns the shop I work at has 4 laying hens and a rooster. All Rhode Island Reds. Good layers and big chickens.

They started laying fairly well in late summer, at about 6 months old I think. Brown eggs.

He's also got a fenced in garden area he no longer uses and lets the chickens free roam, along with their daily feed and suplements. Makes for some better tasting eggs.

You've also got to learn to pull the trigger on them invading possums, "CATS", and other stray critters that want your chickens as much as you do.

A completely enclosed chicken coop w/some yard space will work.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The secret to raisin chickens is not to plant them too deep. Also check to make sure they got the little pop up things in thier breasts for when ya cook em.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Betty gets to stick the red thingy's in after she cleans and plucks them.:eek:oooh:

10. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have had them in the past and will be getting some in the spring.
    If they are slowing down on the egg laying it could be a couple of things.
    Varmint aggravating them.
    To cold, chickens lay more when warm.
    Less day light, putting a heat lamp in the coop serves two purpose, heat and light.
    If you have windows in the coop paint them red or put red film over, there is something about red light that chickens like. A red heat lamp helps with this on the cold days.
    Be sure and give them oyster shells in there diet to make hard shells, you can give them back there egg shells also though they must be finely crushed.
    If you have one or more that is getting hen pecked, ( picked on) find the instigator and place them under a cheap plastic laundry basket with some weight on it so it can't get out. Place it in the middle of the coop so the others can get around it give it food and water so it don't die. What this does is either gives the other chickens a chance to peck back with out feeling threatened, or it gives the chicken in the basket time to forget it was pecking on the others. Either way it seems to end the problem. It usually only takes a day or two. I have also found that if you build a lot of laying boxes you are wasting time. They seem to only use one or two or just lay in the corner or something.
    Chickens also like to roost up off the ground at night, a natural way of avoiding small predators an old wood ladder works real good just cut long enough to nail from wall to wall in the coop a couple feet off the floor and your good to go.
    Also keep there water full, and feed plenty often.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This reminds me of one particular day when I came home from work. It seems my wife Tammy and one of her friends decided to convert our dog kennel into a chicken coop to raise young fryers.:eek:oooh:
    The two of them had a funny look on their face when I got out of the truck. Whats up with you two I ask. Well we put ten chickens in the dog pen, but we forgot about them being able to fly:confused2: . lmao
    I spent the rest of the evening running down chickens, oh yeah I had to enlist the help of the neighborhood kids and our own.:roll_eyes:
    Two managed to elude us for the night, but I caught them the next morning with the aid of my landing net. lol they don't call me Netmanjack for nothing! lol:big_smile:

PS if you are going to do any wing clipping, only do one side per chicken! lol

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Won't they just fly in circles then? LOL!

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Paul

just put them under yer house so they can roost in the wheels like all them other southerners do! :big_smile_2: :boss: :ah:

14. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We raise Exibition Old English Game Bantams.We have around 150 birds any time of year.I have about 16 pens 4'X3'X4'-the trick is I move them every week to give the birds new grass/dirt/nutrients.Here is my website-www.geocities.com/jtbrass.If you need any poultry help PM me.--My birds are my next passion to catfishing.

15. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    now I got a great one that my grandDad made in my backyard...thing is..its in MS and Im in Colorado..with NO pictures. Is a good one though. Wish I could help more.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you are going to maintain any sort of yards keep them suckers cooped up for sure. They are destructive suckers when they go to scratchin.

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I don’t have any pictures, but we just covered the dog yard with some chicken wire and then a tarp over part of it. Under the tarp we stuck two small round poles through the fence, angled to the ground and nailed three more across them for a roost. The nesting area was the dog box; just put some straw in it and the chickens seemed happy. We also had a portable cage like Jimmy talked about.
    Tammy owns and recommends these books on chickens:
    Chicken Tractor, by Andy Lee
    Chickens in your Backyard, by Rick & Gail Luttmann
    A Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow

18. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota

I'll agree with that one, they can be destructive. Not only that who likes steping in chicken poop on the way in the door.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I also raise old english game bantams for exibition and ours have stopped laying for the winter but we keep a lamp in thier coop during the frostiest days to help prevent freezing after one rooster died last week from the -20 windchill that storm snuck up on us

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If they keep dying after planting.... Get soil samples to make sure your PH levels and fertilizer is in proper proprtions, LOL!!!