Chickamauga Skipjacks

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by foodsaver, Apr 18, 2006.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When you guys go to fish below the dam on foot where is the best place place to fish for skipjacks? Also what would be the fastest way to get there from downtown in rush hour? Should I just fight it out in traffic on amnicola or is there a better way to go? I think I want to take amnicola to 153 to Access Rd but I am not 100% positive. Any better directions and or spots would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thanks
    Craig

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Craig, That sounds like the best way to go to me. We have been to the dam there several times and most folks fish for skips from the sidewalk closest to the dam. There are a bunch of rocks there and you may get hung if you aren't careful. We hope you do good buddy.

3. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jim is correct.... best area to catch skipjacks from shore is in and around the corner created by the rip rap up close to the face of the dam. Ting white jigs or Sabiki rigs. Use 12 lb. line or bigger if they're running generator #1 (closest to rocks). Big skipjack in the heavy current will break 8# test in a heartbeat.

4. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    where do you buy sabiki rigs around here?

5. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bass Pro Shop ...

6. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    how about the fishing a little ways down the rocks away from the crowd?

7. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    The last time I was down there some people would walk right up on you and throw across you if they even saw you snag a shad. Is it like that all the time? I was down there in the morning time catching stripe and shad but people would really crowd you and get on your nerves.