Chickamauga Dam Skipjacks

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by EricM, Apr 1, 2007.

1. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Went below Chickamauga Dam today for skipjack. They have shown up big time! I filled two coolers in a short time and had a ball doing it. Then I spent all afternoon packaging and freezing the bait! I used 3 white maribou crappie jigs tied about a foot apart. Great time to take the kids, you can fish from the bank and only need to cast 20 or 25 feet, so easy a cave man can do it!

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks for the report.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    thanks for the report. i was at kingston steam plant yesterday. they were not there yet but should be any day now.

4. droptines

droptines New Member

how do you guys prepare skips before you freeze them?do you freeze them whole and i know this topic is not on shad but is there anything you could do to them before freezing that will help them stay together once thawed?thanks for any info.

5. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I freeze them whole. I also now vacuum pack all of my bait before freezing. This makes it so much easier to handle later. I can just pitch a couple of bags into the boat or sink the night before and there is no smell or leakage as it thaws. In fact, if an unplanned trip comes up, I fill the sink with hot water and let the bag defrost while I'm getting everything else ready and when I get to the river it's defrosted enough to be usable. The fish stay fresh and firm.
    This is a great way to handle shad, too. The smaller ones still get somewhat soft, but they are still useable. Oh, and if unopened, the bags go right back into the freezer when I get home. You can cut the bait before freezing, but it is a mess when you defrost and use it, and I use different size chunks depending on where and how I'm fishing. Hope this helps!

6. droptines

droptines New Member

yep that helps alot.thanks.thinking about making a trip to pickwick to try and load up.do you know if anyones catching them there yet?

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like a lot more fun than getting soaked throwing the cast net!

8. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Haven't heard about Pickwick yet. And I stumbled around enough on the riprap bank that I'm suprised I didn't get wet. Oh, and if you're taking a kid fishing, make sure it's a big kid - somebody's got to carry the full coolers back to the car! :lol:

9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    The skips are running great at Pickwick right now. This cool snap might slow them down a little but they will be hitting full force again in no time.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's a lot more fun to wait till the Pickwick Gathering the end of this month. Catch plenty of skippies, maybe some stripers, BS with a lot of BOC brothers & sisters. Good thing the guv'mint boys don't know how much fun it is, or they'd either tax it or make it illegal.

11. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Glad to hear the skips are running again in the scenic city. I have my rod and some white jigs in the truck so I can go catch some one day after work one day but haven't had the chance to go yet. Maybe this week.

Cheez