Chickamauga blue catfish

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by EricM, Jan 12, 2007.

1. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Hi everyone, I'm a new member and would like to report today's fishing. It was fairly slow on Chickamauga,but even though the numbers were small, I did land a 47 lb and a 15+lb blue today, with a couple of 10-12 pounders thrown in. Best bait was cut skipjack, on the bottom in 44 to 54 feet of water. When I couldn't get another bite I lifted the bait about 10 feet from the bottom and found some 5 to 10 lb blues suspended with the shad. All of the fish were caught in very close proximity to schools of shad. There were pecks from smaller fish, but I was using fairly large chunks of bait.
    I'm glad to be a new member and hope to both learn from you and teach what I know. Good fishing!

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the boc. It is awesome. You can really learn alot and help everyone else with their questions. I have not been to chickamagua yet I have been trying to get down there for months, nice fish by the way I am sure you let them go right. Wheres the pics

3. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Thanks for the welcome! I fish quite often and I release all of my fish. It always amazes and thrills me when I catch a fish with some distinguishing mark for the second or third time. Most of the regulars that I know release almost all of their fish. Unfortunately, I still use a 35mm film camera, so I have to get the pics developed and on disk before I can post them. I hate to give the camera up because of the beautiful pics it takes, but I guess I need to go ahead and enter this century.
    You don't hear a lot about Chickamauga like some of the other areas, but it is an amazing fishery. Two of the blue catfish IGFA world line class records currently held are from it! (I hold the 130 lb line class record). Also check out the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency web site and see how many Tennessee Angler Recognition Program trophies come from here! Give it a try when you can.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Eric welcome to the BOC and glad you had a good day on the Chickamauga.
    I have fished that area a couple times with good results. I don't get to fish it like I want to but this year you will see me there and at Nickajack several times.

I fish the Chickamauga last May with Richard Simms a local guide and well known man in many areas of Scenic city. We had great results down below the dam. We have several members over there on this site. Fish, aka Jim Marshal and his wonderful wife Judy are from choo choo. They are good friends of the wifes and I and we try to get over that way to fish as often as we can. Looking forward to seeing you there. Keep the reports coming , I love reading about them and if you have some secret places to fish you can always use the PM function on here to relay that info my way.:lol: I promise to keep it to myself.
    Willard

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to the BOC and the TN boards!

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Welcome aboard Eric. Those are some nice fish. Thanks for the report.

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Eric, welcome to the BOC!! Some nice fish there. We have a gathering most years at Harrison Bay. I'm not sure about this year though. I think Chickamauga is a great lake with an abundance of Cats and Crappies. Bout the only two fish I fish for. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the site and get involved. We're a big ole family really. And we're glad you've joined us!!

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Eric, welcome to the BOC brother, we have several members that fish that lake and do very good. Thanks for the report

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Definetly some nice bluecats Eric. Welcome onboard.